Talk

Advanced search

Divorce settlement and an autistic child

(7 Posts)
Jennylesson Thu 30-Jul-20 14:32:38

Hi,
I need some advice please. I am currently going through divorce with my husband of 10 years. We have 3 children age 8,5, and 2) one child is severely autistic. Please can you inform me all the things that should be stated in the divorce settlement. I have been told to consider everything the children will need until they are 18years old. For example access to children, monthly maintenance, holidays, therapies, life insurance, medical cover.
What agreement should I consider for my autistic child. I want to put everything in the agreement and not leave out anything.
Currently, he has only given me a total of £1000 in 6 months. I have considered going to CMS (child maintenance services) but as a contractor he only declares earnings of 25k per annum. I know he earns £450 per day.
Is there any other way to ensure he pays child maintenance consistently apart from through CMS. My solicitor said we can reach an agreement with him but if he defaults on payment then there is nothing I can do. Is this true? Please help!!

OP’s posts: |
millymollymoomoo Thu 30-Jul-20 17:16:39

1) go for the most capital you can get if you think he’ll be difficult on child maintenance
2) go for a global maintenance order so if he messes re child maintenance the total dies t change and can be enforced

Also think about needs beyond 18 if your child is going to struggle to be independent into adulthood

TheSandgroper Fri 31-Jul-20 08:19:40

Somewhere on this site is a very good list of advice provided to someone asking the same question.

In this list were everything.
- normal school costs x
- special school costs y

-transport to normal cost costs x
-transport to special school costs y

-normal after school care costs x
- special after school care costs y

- babysitter costs x
- trained babysitter costs y.

- holiday clubs cost x
- respite care costs y

Total costs of medical and therapy appointments as broken down above. Special diet. Special clothes perhaps? Equipment?

I don’t know how to search for this particular post but it was very good, if you could find it.

Jennylesson Fri 31-Jul-20 08:44:50

You have mentioned some very interesting points I will investigate further. Thank you so much.

Jennylesson Fri 31-Jul-20 08:46:16

Wow... That's great. I will definitely do a search. Thank you so much.

Truimph Fri 31-Jul-20 10:25:16

Even with the 25,000 declared, CMS will award a lot more than the equivalent of what your currently getting £166 per month (£1000/6 months).

If it was me I'd ask CMS to step in. They won't be able to backdate previous underpayment - only from the date of your application.

Jennylesson Mon 03-Aug-20 10:40:34

Hi,
Thank you for your advice and suggestion. I will definitely consider it.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in