Talk

Advanced search

Parent wants to divorce

(4 Posts)
poppy1973 Wed 06-May-20 15:55:10

After 55 years of marriage, my mum has announced that she was a divorce. My dad doesn't want to accept it. I am not sure what to do with them. They both has illness and probably wouldn't survive well by themselves. But if they stay together then the depression and anxiety will trigger my dad to have another stroke and doesn't help my mother's mental illness. The house is in my dad's name and he is worried financially how to survive. Should I point them in the direction of mediation or straight to a solicitor???

OP’s posts: |
Lynda07 Wed 06-May-20 16:15:19

Mediation first I think. There may be a way that they can peacefully coexist in the same house without intruding on each other too much. Its worth a try after such a long marriage. At the moment I imagine things are particularly fraught and when the pandemic ends, they may look at things differently.

As long as they aren't continually at loggerheads I'd go for mediation though where they'd get it right now I don't know - on the internet maybe if they have that.

Good luck to you with helping them.

Blueuggboots Wed 06-May-20 16:39:26

My parents divorced after 46 years and they're both so much happier now. If your mum has reached this point, it's unlikely that she's come to a snap decision....your dad might not have a choice!!

poppy1973 Wed 06-May-20 17:03:16

Thanks for the advice. I will look into mediation before I speak to them. I will see if anything is being done online.

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in