Advanced search

Help. What do I do?

(8 Posts)
Liliuk Wed 15-Apr-20 15:48:48

I feel it''s time to call it a day after 20 years relationship. We have an Autistic child and I gave up a decently paid job to home educate him briefly. My husband kept control of finances so we have no joint account etc...I now work a very low paid job and feel he owns me (he is not abusive but quite controlling). Where can I get cheap advice on how to proceed and ensure I get my share of saving etc....
Sorry quite emotional about all this......thank you

OP’s posts: |
BritInUS1 Wed 15-Apr-20 15:49:55

Start with Shelter and CAB

Lightsabre Wed 15-Apr-20 16:17:57

thanks A lot of solicitors offer a free first half hour of advice. Good luck

Liliuk Wed 15-Apr-20 16:35:09

Thank you both. Really appreciate it flowers

OP’s posts: |
Mumof3withtwins Wed 15-Apr-20 22:22:52

Google rights of women advice line. Their website is also good. I also recommend Lucy Reed's book, the family court without a lawyer.

Try not to get emotional, you have to be focused now and save your energy.

Liliuk Thu 16-Apr-20 06:47:09

Thank you @Mumof3withtwins i Will have a look. I am not emotional as such, I am quite tough, it's daunting because only now do I realise that his controlling ways means I am dependant on him

OP’s posts: |
Mumof3withtwins Thu 16-Apr-20 12:28:32

You have taken the first and most important step by realising you were being controlled. Now you are on your way to freedom. Read as much as you can about the law and your rights.

Liliuk Thu 16-Apr-20 23:36:08

@Mumof3withtwins thank you so much for your advice, I definitely will.

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in