Advanced search

HELP finances - he has left

(6 Posts)
Tinydancer123 Sat 01-Feb-20 09:58:20

Ok DH has walked out .

For this month should he pay half of bills he is at brothers ? ( no bills)

Should he pay half till we divorce or just child maint ?

What happens about a credit card we both used but in my name ?

What about joint bills ?

OP’s posts: |
LemonTT Sat 01-Feb-20 10:17:27

His obligation to you is to pay CMS.

After that he has a joint responsibility with you to the lender to pay the mortgage. But he is not living in the house and he will have to find somewhere else to live. Arguably he can say that the obligation to pay the mortgage in full falls to you as you now occupy the home. And that he is providing support for his children via CMS. The bills are yours to pay.

It may we’ll be that he can not afford to pay more than CMS if he is renting another home.

Really both of you need to discuss things and how you can afford to pay for 2 homes until you sort out the long term split of finances. Compromises are needed for most people. That involves increasing income, from benefits and work and reducing outgoings.

Demands and ultimatums at this stage can backfire. Especially if you rely on his income.

Tinydancer123 Sat 01-Feb-20 11:04:35

Thank you . I am the main earner . I just want to understand reference credit card etc . I am happy to pay my bills and do not expect half but there are joint bills .

OP’s posts: |
Tinydancer123 Sat 01-Feb-20 11:11:27

The credit card has 4000 on it .

OP’s posts: |
TheBusDriver Sat 01-Feb-20 14:33:15

The debt should be classed as part of matrimonial debt

Elizadoeslittle19 Sat 01-Feb-20 19:35:01

He should be paying you child maintenance. Either voluntarily or through CMS.
Morally he should be helping you with the household bills until you get your finances sorted ie are you entitled to tax credits etc if you need it.
Do you have a joint mortgage/ rent?
What joint bills do you mean?
Your credit card might be more difficult to get him to contribute to 'voluntarily'. I would speak to a solicitor regarding this. Can you just pay the minimum payment for the next few months until you get back on your feet?

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in