Advanced search

Changing name

(8 Posts)
user765 Sun 12-Jan-20 12:48:42

Has anyone changed their name? I wasn’t married to my ex so don’t mean just going back to maiden name. I mean a full name change, new identity, so your ex cannot track you down. Is it easy to do and does it make a difference?

18 months ago I thought my IDVA was being a bit far fetched when she suggested it, but now I realise there is a need. But it would mean adopting a random surname that would be different from my children, one of whom has my current surname rather than my ex’s. So the three of us would have different surnames. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks x

OP’s posts: |
RegalRita Sun 12-Jan-20 12:54:08

You can change your name to whatever you like, similarly you could change your children’s names too? If that’s an option.

As for whether it’s feasible, I can’t see why it wouldn’t be. It may just take a while? But I’d be weary of changing it and updating your social media to the same name, I reckon people could still track you down that way.

user765 Sun 12-Jan-20 13:00:00

I would need his permission to change the children’s names though

OP’s posts: |
VerySale Sun 12-Jan-20 21:36:15

You can generate a deed poll for free online. It's just the wording that's used. You input your details, it generates it, you print and get it signed. I printed a few copies so I could send some off without waiting for them to return.

user765 Tue 14-Jan-20 17:23:26

Thanks for the advice. I was just wondering in practical terms whether it would make a difference. I like my name and would find it weird having a different name but could live with it if it meant I could live in peace without being stalked, monitored, harrassed through post and constantly sued for trivial things through the small claims court by my ex.

OP’s posts: |
cabbageking Tue 14-Jan-20 17:39:36

Why not do some family history and chose something down that path?

You may wish to use a known by family name.

I am know by another name whilst keeping all my official ID in legal name so to speak. Even my DBS check reflects both names. Cost zero

Clangus00 Tue 14-Jan-20 18:09:54

If he’s doing all that to you, maybe the court will grant you permission to change the children’s names.
Has he been charged with stalking or harassing you?
I would ask your lawyer for advice.

user765 Tue 14-Jan-20 19:41:46

The police won’t do anything as he just lies and they say there’s no proof. The court order is essentially a non molestation order without power of arrest so the police say it’s a civil matter. Now he does it through friends, his friend who is a solicitor and through suing me in civil courts with vexatious claims

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in