Advanced search

Separation and mortgage.

(8 Posts)
Hayleycaroline123 Tue 07-Jan-20 17:18:23

I have just recently ended my 13 year relationship. We have a very high mortgage that I can no where near afford alone. We have children with schools near by but am lost as to what my next step is.
If we sell and split the little money thats in the house where do I go from there? Do I have to private rent and then claim benefits to help with cost, at the moment I don’t receive any. Or is there a way I can stay in the house with mortgage and have help???

OP’s posts: |
LemonTT Tue 07-Jan-20 17:37:57

The outcome of your divorce really depends on your circumstances. What are you respective salary ranges, savings, debts, pensions and equity in the home. How old are the children and are there any conditions, illnesses or disabilities in the family.

FabbyChix Tue 07-Jan-20 18:26:14

If you can’t get your own mortgage and buy him out then you have to rent

Hayleycaroline123 Tue 07-Jan-20 20:18:50

I’m not married and on very low income as I only work part time. Rent is more expensive than my current mortgage payments.
My children are 11 and 8 and will be living with me. I’m struggling to work out how I afford not just living but bills etc too.
After the sale of the house I could possible rent for 3-4 months but then I’m out of money.

OP’s posts: |
LemonTT Tue 07-Jan-20 20:51:29

A solicitor might be needed. Whilst you don’t have the rights a married person would have to a financial settlement, your ex has responsibilities to his children that can be enforced if he can afford it.

It is possible that you could get a court order to allow the children to stay in the house. But it would depend on his income and wealth. You wouldn’t have any benefit from the arrangement.

Otherwise, have you looked into universal credit and the level of CMS you would get.

user765 Sat 11-Jan-20 23:55:42

its TOLATA law if you’re not married. You can apply to remain in the house or defer the sale of the house until the children are 18. X

millymollymoomoo Sun 12-Jan-20 12:34:39

You need go increase your hours and look to return full time
I think you’ll find it quite tricky to remain in a house you cannot afford especially as not married as you don’t have automatic rights

Gave you sought legal advice ?

MakeMineALargeProsecco Sun 12-Jan-20 12:51:14

Where are you in the UK? Scotland has laws which protect cohabiters.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in