Advanced search

How to split cost of childcare after splitting up.

(11 Posts)
MakeMineALargeProsecco Sat 21-Dec-19 19:23:26

DP & I are in the process of splitting up.

I saw a solicitor last week & we talked about how to split equity etc.

But I completely forgot to ask about childcare costs & how these should be split.

Childcare is £40 a day in term time for 2DC - so £200 a week.

I'm the primary carer, and earn about 1/3 of STBX.

How is this usually split?

I'm guessing this is not included as part of maintenance?

Any advice welcome.

OP’s posts: |
BernadetteRostankowskiWolowitz Sat 21-Dec-19 19:31:59

Whoever requires the childcare pays for it.

QuestionableMushroom Sat 21-Dec-19 19:34:46

As far as I am aware maintenance includes childcare costs.
DS’s nursery is £442 each month. exDP pays £200 maintenance. Go figure.

WireBrushAndDettolMaam Sat 21-Dec-19 19:40:06

Sadly child maintenance is supposed to cover childcare. Usually the minimum CM figure doesn’t actually meet half this cost.

However if you can agree a figure between yourselves you may come to a more accurate amount.

I think a 50/50 split is fair.

MakeMineALargeProsecco Sat 21-Dec-19 19:48:12

Eek! I thought it would be in addition confused

We are due to have financial mediation soon & I'll make sure that's covered and hopefully get an agreement drawn up.

Luckily DS is in P6 (Scotland) so it'll only be for 1yr to 18m that 2 lots are required.

OP’s posts: |
Greggers2017 Sat 21-Dec-19 19:55:25

Are you going to be entitled to universal or tax credits? They pay a large amount of your childcare costs. Also look into wether your company does childcare vouchers.

plantainchips Sat 21-Dec-19 19:57:22

It’s included in maintenance but if your ex is willing to pay extra towards it that’s good

WireBrushAndDettolMaam Sat 21-Dec-19 19:58:13

OP don’t forget to get an agreement about who will cover and arrange holiday childcare and the child’s sick days off school.

MakeMineALargeProsecco Sat 21-Dec-19 20:34:32

I get childcare vouchers at the moment, but I'm not sure if I can move them between health boards (am NHS) - I think the rules have changed since I took them out 10 years ago.

OP’s posts: |
MakeMineALargeProsecco Sat 21-Dec-19 20:38:17

I'll have a try at the " entitled to" website & take a look at the new government childcare scheme if I can't stay in the voucher scheme.

OP’s posts: |
QuestionableMushroom Sat 21-Dec-19 21:34:55

Have a look at tax free childcare as well. That’s what I use, whatever I put in the government top up by 20% which helps.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in