Advanced search

Moving out and benefits

(7 Posts)
Takeoutyourhen Tue 17-Dec-19 20:45:21

Another separated but still living together situation.
I’m going to move out, but I have no idea what benefits I’d be eligible to so I’m reluctant to sign a tenancy agreement just yet.
STBEH wants to keep the house and will buy me out at some point. I’m in no position to buy him out or get a mortgage if my own.
He’s always paid for the mortgage and I pay for the childcare of the 3 kids. I don’t know how that could affect things. These kinds of questions doesn’t come up on online benefits calculators.
I kind of need someone to tell me at an appointment but in the run up to Xmas I can only imagine getting an appointment is going to be really difficult.
Any advice appreciated. Thanks

OP’s posts: |
millymoo1202 Tue 17-Dec-19 20:56:28

I’m in same position as you, I thought I wouldn’t be entitled to anything as we have no mortgage and still living under same roof until all sorted out. I phoned UC helpline and was told just to apply online as I earn minimum wage part time and he is giving me way under correct maintenance as paying bills. I am waiting to hear if I qualify for anything but it’s worth a try.

Takeoutyourhen Tue 17-Dec-19 21:17:57

Good luck millymoo.
I don’t know whether to apply for UC before I move out but everything suggests that I have to have a tenancy agreement to wave at them.
I don’t want to end up renting them suddenly realising that I wouldn’t be able to stay.
Just need someone to give me the nod really.

OP’s posts: |
LemonTT Tue 17-Dec-19 23:38:50

If married you can separate, remain in the same home and claim benefits. But you must financially separate.

Visioncroquet Tue 17-Dec-19 23:43:29

It's worth applying for UC now as it can take up to 6 weeks.

Visioncroquet Tue 17-Dec-19 23:45:17

Also, I needed to show them my tenancy agreement (we rent, he left) showing how much my rent is so that they know how much rent I need in benefits.

SomeHalfHumanCreatureThing Tue 17-Dec-19 23:45:22

You can claim from when you've split.

Him paying the mortgage is irrelevant tbh. You're married and at the absolute least, half that property is yours (possibly more, depending on circumstances).

Before you do anything speak to a solicitor.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in