Talk

Advanced search

Signing divorce/financial settlement urgent

(78 Posts)
Mrsfefup Tue 12-Nov-19 20:54:02

Looking for some advice urgent.

Have been separated nearly 2 years but living in same house( can't afford to move out) husband gives nothing towards our daughters upkeep, I survive in child benefit/tax credit.
He's finally started divorce proceedings, only as he's now in a new relationship and asked me to sign, using 2 year seperation as reason.
I really want to move on but don't know if I should sign it not Freund's giving conflicting advice.

1. If I sign divorce papers,will this disadvantage me with financial settlement or are the 2 seperate?
,2 will it disadvantage my living there,IE can he kick me out once divorced?

Desperate,please advise he's getting nasty as I'm stalling signing.

OP’s posts: |
Clangus00 Tue 12-Nov-19 21:00:47

You need good legal advice. Sign nothing until you’ve spoken to a solicitor/ lawyer.

Mrsfefup Tue 12-Nov-19 21:12:14

That's the trouble☺️ can't afford it.

RandomMess Tue 12-Nov-19 21:12:13

Put in a claim for CMS ASAP as well!!!

awishes Tue 12-Nov-19 21:14:17

Find local solicitors who offer free 30 minute advice, take notes, just call and ask, don t be afraid. You need good advice

Mrsfefup Tue 12-Nov-19 21:18:07

I tried child maintenance, he told them we not seperated and they told me will be hard to prove,then threatened to ring benefit office and say I have been claiming fraudulently as we not seperated.
He's boxed me in a corner everything I've tried.

Mrsfefup Tue 12-Nov-19 21:19:41

All lies of course, just spite and self preservation.

RandomMess Tue 12-Nov-19 21:21:21

You now have divorce papers that you can send to CMS as evidence!

RandomMess Tue 12-Nov-19 21:21:55

Ring your local WA for recommendations?

Is the house mortgaged or rented?

Mrsfefup Tue 12-Nov-19 21:29:15

Yes I do, what is WA?
House is mortgaged, he has another house also he rents out, also mortgaged.

Mrsfefup Tue 12-Nov-19 21:30:13

A friend had given me a phone number for legal aid, I'm going to ring tomorrow.wilk they give advice?

RandomMess Tue 12-Nov-19 21:36:47

Woman's Aid, he is being abusive to you and they will be able to recommend solicitors used to dealing with divorcing abuse spouse.

maternity123qwe Tue 12-Nov-19 21:38:17

Don’t sign your papers until the financial settlement element is agreed and don’t be forced into doing anything

Mrsfefup Tue 12-Nov-19 21:47:16

Thanks for advice.

waterSpider Tue 12-Nov-19 22:03:45

Sounds like your turn to be unco-operative.
No, it isn't two years yet.
I'll sign when everything is sorted out and you're paying maintenance.

Men keen for a divorce are often looking to remarry ...

The grounds for divorce don't affect the finances (so doesn't matter if 2 years or adultery, say). But generally best to get all things sorted out if you can.

Techway Tue 12-Nov-19 22:09:51

What forms is he asking you to sign?

Mrsfefup Tue 12-Nov-19 22:28:45

Divorce forms only, which I would love to sign, in last page it say financial settlement to be done on seperate form?
So I think financial side will come after, hence me asking if any disadvantage signing divorce form.

Mrsfefup Tue 12-Nov-19 22:30:20

I have young daughter, and want to get her out of this atmosphere ASAP. We have blazing rows everyday.

mostlydrinkstea Tue 12-Nov-19 22:43:08

Don't sign the financial agreement until you have spoken to a lawyer.

Mrsfefup Wed 13-Nov-19 06:03:17

But would I be ok signing divorce paper?

Pixxie7 Wed 13-Nov-19 06:10:23

I wouldn’t sign anything before getting legal advice. If money is an issue you could go to citizens advice.

Mrsfefup Wed 13-Nov-19 06:24:43

I tried all this a year ago with council, CA etc all said the same thing, I'm not technically homeless so they can't help,stay where I am, if I deliberately make myself homeless they won't help.

Catch 22 groundhog day

LilyAraminta Wed 13-Nov-19 06:32:12

DO NOT SIGN!!! He can very well cool his heels until you manage to get legal advice. If it takes a little bit for you to figure that out, oh well.
He isn't rushing you because it's in your best interest and you shouldn't bend to his artificially imposed time pressure.

LilyAraminta Wed 13-Nov-19 06:34:25

DO NOT SIGN!!! He can very well cool his heels until you manage to get legal advice. If it takes a little bit for you to figure that out, oh well.
He isn't rushing you because it's in your best interest and you shouldn't bend to his artificially imposed time pressure.

Auberjean Wed 13-Nov-19 06:49:22

By your own admission he is already playing dirty tricks. Sign nothing and gy some free advice. This is very imp.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in