Advanced search

Separation advice needed

(2 Posts)
Tiger785 Sun 27-Oct-19 22:28:54

Me and my partner of 15yrs are separating. No arguments or anything and still on good talking terms. We have a joint mortgage and 3 children. Neither can afford the house on our own so we will be selling and splitting equity 50-50. I am moving to my mothers and will be stuck there until we sell house. If I can I hope to eventually get a mortgage and not rent. Will my ex get government help with rented accommodation, she doesn't have a job so no income. Any help grateful.

OP’s posts: |
unicornsarereal72 Mon 28-Oct-19 07:46:27

Will the children be with their mother? She can speak to the council about housing although many area there is a long wait of years. It depends where you are. So private rent is more likely.

A claim for universal credits will cover some rent but this is capped. So you need to know how much this is. Depending on the age of the children there will be and expectation for her to be looking for work. Also depending on the equity from the property once there is a certain amount of saving you will not be entitled to benefits until it falls under a certain amount.

Check the government website about entitlement and also benefit calculator for likely amount.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in