Talk

Advanced search

Divorce and financial settlement without a solicitor

(11 Posts)
icanbreathagain Thu 26-Sep-19 21:29:30

Has anyone done the above without paying thousands for it to be agreed? We've agreed on most things financial; just the pensions to sort.
How did you get on?

OP’s posts: |
FreedomBird Thu 26-Sep-19 21:30:27

Watching with interest

Liz79 Thu 26-Sep-19 21:30:52

Watching with interest as I could have written that xx

Wolfcub Thu 26-Sep-19 21:32:33

Also interested to see the responses to this

toobusytothink Thu 26-Sep-19 21:32:53

Yep. Doing the divorce ourselves online. Just court fee to pay. Agreed everything financial between us then a solicitor is drawing it up in a Consent Order for £300 just to make it legal if necessary. Very hassle free and cheap but trust each other implicitly

Upordown Thu 26-Sep-19 21:35:26

As long as you can easily equalise pensions, it's fine. That's if there's a sizable difference and its a long marriage though.

VeThings Thu 26-Sep-19 21:36:44

We did it online, just paid a solicitor for the consent order.

alwaysmovingforwards Fri 27-Sep-19 09:30:06

Yes, did it this way.
Google wikivorce.
You draw it all up in layman's terms, they assign a solicitor to fill in the actual court paperwork to ensure nothing is delayed / rejected on admin technicalities.
Cost a few hundred quid IIRC.
Service available if everything is 'non-contested' and both parties agree.

alwaysmovingforwards Fri 27-Sep-19 09:31:46

https://www.wikivorce.com/divorce/Services/Managed-Divorce/Divorce-and-Consent-Order.html

waterSpider Fri 27-Sep-19 11:12:05

Yes, it was fine.

I did the divorce paperwork and so just had to pay the court fee (now around £550 I think). Easier when things are shared and agreed.

Nearly had a spanner in the works when a 'friend' of the ex said she might do better by going to a solicitor ... though the solicitor merely confirmed all was OK.

NorthernSpirit Fri 27-Sep-19 16:02:42

My now OH represented himself, his EW used an expensive solicitor & barrister and I believe she spend circa £30k.

My OH has spent so much sorting the child contact out through the courts he had little money left for the finances.

As others have said google Wikivorce - it’s full of useful information.

My OH’s finances went to the 3rd & final court stage, he represented himself through the 1st 2 & didn’t use a solicitor. At the 3rd stage he did use a solicitor to help him and he had a barrister represent him in court. It cost circa £5k.

If you can avoid lining the pockets of solicitors I would. For the £30k it cost his EW through the courts, the judge decided & she ended up 2 years down the line with a worse offer than had been made 2 years earlier pre court.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in