Advanced search

Putting STBXH's belongings in storage.

(23 Posts)
theroadtohell1 Sun 25-Aug-19 19:24:41

STBXH moved out of the family home 8 weeks ago when I bought him out of the house. Deeds all transferred to my name, lump sum of 50% of equity paid to him 8 weeks ago.

Problem is, he's a hoarder, and my garage, garden, shed and attic are FULL of his junk belongings. He has his own 2 bed cottage and barn.

8 weeks down the line and I'm fed up. I am trying to make a nice home for my children ( his hoarding was a big part of why we separated) but they haven't even been able to use their bikes all summer as they are buried under his shit in the garage. This weekend is the first time we've been able to use the garden as I spent a couple of days clearing it and making it safe.

I've asked him repeatedly to sort his stuff, but he takes a carful once every week or so. Not enough. So I'm going to give him a deadline, then get a clearance company in. I will get them to put all his belongings in a storage unit which I will pay for one month and give him the key.

My question is, will my credit be affected when if he doesn't clear it within a month and his stuff is all still there?

OP’s posts: |
LemonAddict Sun 25-Aug-19 19:28:12

Why put it in storage? Give him a deadline and then get the clearance company to take it all to his new address and unload it there.

seven201 Sun 25-Aug-19 19:30:49

I think pay the clearance company to take it to his barn. Warn ex they're coming. Do not pay for storage as he'll just leave it there and you'll end up paying forever more.

greenwaterbottle Sun 25-Aug-19 19:38:21

Yep if you're happy to pay just get it shifted to his and that it will be left outside his barn (I'm mean)

theroadtohell1 Sun 25-Aug-19 20:42:03

Thanks. Trouble is he lives a bit of a distance away and I think it may be more expensive to get it taken there rather than a months storage. But I think you may all have a point and it may be preferable to a bad debt and the storage company chasing me for ongoing payment.

OP’s posts: |
negomi90 Sun 25-Aug-19 20:44:45

Get it to his, then its not your problem and you can't be accused of stealing/damaging it.

GeorgeTheFirst Sun 25-Aug-19 20:46:50

No storage. Give him a deadline then hire a skip. Or two.

theroadtohell1 Sun 25-Aug-19 21:02:16

I know what you're saying George. But I'm not sure I could bring myself to do that to him. He'd be devastated. And, more importantly, I'm trying to stay amicable for the sake of the DC.

OP’s posts: |
chamenanged Sun 25-Aug-19 21:34:40

But you wouldn't be 'doing it to him' if he wasn't 'doing it to you'. He has the choice to meet the deadline and clear the stuff.

PurpleCrowbar Sun 25-Aug-19 22:03:51

Oh been there, done that.

The problem is that once it's in storage in your name, they'll chase you.

Much better to give him a deadline.

However, the legal situation is a bit sticky if you just bin it - eg if I - as a total random to you - somehow left my motorbike/handbag/diamond ring at your house, didn't pick it up & you sold it, you'd potentially be in trouble.

But if it's marital goods, which he has had an opportunity to retrieve, I think you're OK disposing as you see fit?

I had this with an enormous tank of tropical fish, which I was not willing to care for! Advice was to re-home them after giving fair warning.

But definitely avoid the route of a storage unit that you're liable for. They won't care whose crap it is - if you've signed the storage contract it'll remain your liability, which could have credit ramifications later.

Actionhasmagic Sun 25-Aug-19 23:36:21

Get it to his - the storage will be signed in your name

Plasebeafleabite Mon 26-Aug-19 08:53:24

Not for you particularly OP but for others readers going into a similar situation to you.
I had a clause in my consent order which stated XH had a certain length of time to collect belongings then they became mine to dispose of/keep

Itsnotme123 Mon 26-Aug-19 09:18:02

My ex also had a clause in his consent order that if I don’t collect it, then it becomes his to do as he wants with. That could be an easier option for you.

Disfordarkchocolate Mon 26-Aug-19 09:23:50

I'd be tempted to hire a skip and get rid of it but I think you need to be more careful. A letter from your solicitor giving him a deadline to remove all of his belongings or you will dispose of as you see fit. Then stick to it. He's your X, you can only be so amicable before it tips into him controlling you and the children. Give him 4 weeks, plenty of time to hire a van.

MrsBertBibby Mon 26-Aug-19 10:18:05

Have you got an order about finances? What does it say about contents?

theroadtohell1 Mon 26-Aug-19 20:09:44

I don't think we had a consent order? Not divorced yet. Or would it be as part of the transfer of equity?

OP’s posts: |
MrsBertBibby Mon 26-Aug-19 22:48:25

Have you spoken to a solicitor at all?

theroadtohell1 Tue 27-Aug-19 13:20:41

Yes I had a meeting with a solicitor when I was thinking of leaving him. The solicitor agreed if we could do it amicably and avoid court costs that was the best thing.

And obviously a solicitor was involved with the transfer of equity and re mortgage but they were instructed by the mortgage company. We had an Occupation Order agreed as he moved out a week after the recent mortgage completed, but no consent order.

OP’s posts: |
Drabarni Tue 27-Aug-19 13:34:55

Give him a deadline then book a skip or load car and take to charity.
Don't pay for anything, book the skip in his name and address.
Let him sort it and pay.

petyeti Tue 27-Aug-19 13:40:48

My ex did this. Moved out and left his junk, was non responsive to requests to move it. Difference was I was moving out too. I had it removed and binned.

greenwaterbottle Tue 27-Aug-19 14:29:24

What about sending him a recorded delivery letter giving him notice to move his stuff or you'll consider it yours and sell it.
You don't have to follow through but it might give him a nudge.

MrsBertBibby Tue 27-Aug-19 18:23:18

Assuming you are in England /Wales, you have no right to dispose of his possessions without a court order.

You need to get one confirming the house transfer was in full and final settlement and dealing with contents etc.

See agetter solicitor, who is a family specialist, the one you saw sounds crap (assuming that is all they said.)

motheroffourcats Wed 28-Aug-19 10:38:04

Hi. You still need a Finance Order. Otherwise either of you can go back to the other in the future, even 20 years later if there was no order for finances. Please see a solicitor. You do need the Finance Order.
Best wishes.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in