Advanced search

Divorcing and selling the house,stbxw making things difficult

(8 Posts)
Andyjakeydan Thu 15-Aug-19 20:36:38

My wonderful stbxw started having an affair last november so i started divorce proceedings in december(nisi due on 29th aug)...our house has been on the market since december and we’ve had hardly any interest(i know brexit is affecting things)..i asked our estate agent if he thought the house was over priced and he agreed that it is so he suggested to stbxw that we drop the price but she won’t so basically she’s stopping the house getting sold because she wants to stay in it and me to move out of it,which i can’t do what i’m asking you good people is is there anyway i can force her to agree to drop the asking price ?

OP’s posts: |
RandomMess Thu 15-Aug-19 20:46:14

You can take it to court to force sale...

Itsnotme123 Thu 15-Aug-19 20:51:15

Start being a complete bastard, and do awful things like acting like a slob so she can’t stand living with you ? And when she tells you to move out, just keep reiterating that you can’t move out unless she drops the sale price so the house can be sold so you can go your separate ways.

MrsBertBibby Thu 15-Aug-19 20:54:39

I'd suggest you see a family solicitor.

Shinesweetfreedom Thu 15-Aug-19 21:41:57

Forcing a sale will cost a lot of money.
Don’t move out.
She will eventually have to come round to dropping the price or you won’t be going anywhere.

Andyjakeydan Fri 16-Aug-19 06:44:33

Thanks for the replies ,this week i haven’t spoken to her at all so its not been very pleasant but i have to be careful for the sake of our 12 daughter.
I put twice as much into the house as she did but she wants 70/30 split of the money from the house,hers pensions are worth far more than mine too

OP’s posts: |
IsItBetter Fri 16-Aug-19 09:02:18

The short answer is no you can't, not without taking legal action.

Sounds like you may have to go to court unfortunately if she wont be reasonable. Do take some time with a solicitor (often they do a free consult at the start) to discuss likely split of assets in such an event. Do be aware that many solicitors will charge a fortune to represent you in court - I would look to self-represent and get a direct access barrister if it gets that far.

She may already have taken legal advice and been told she can keep the house - some solicitors make a nice career out of giving their clients unrealistic expectations.

Unfortunately, going to court will bring out of worst in people, so be on the lookout for her to try to stop you seeing your daughter in retaliation (usually with some kind of vague claim that you've been abusive), then having to go to court for that too :/ They do this because if the child lives with them, they will get a larger share of assets.

So try to keep it amicable if at all possible

Soontobe60 Fri 16-Aug-19 09:07:28

I would suggest that you ask her to buy you out if she wants to stay in the house. As she's expecting a larger price for it if it sold, then she'd have to give you more to pay you off.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in