Talk

Advanced search

Help - “maximising income” - what does this mean?

(4 Posts)
Feelinghopeless999 Tue 13-Aug-19 15:15:48

Can anyone help? I’m just doing a bit of research. Does “maximising income” mean I would be forced to change from part time to full time?

I have worked 4 days a week for 6 years (since returning to work after DS), I also have a 4 year old DD who is just about to start school. Even working 4 days I week I earned roughly the same as my DH, and a split would be 50:50 (both financially and custody).

So I don’t really want to return to work full time as this tips the balance more in his favour and means that I wouldn’t be around for school pick ups on Fridays (which I love) and/or covering holidays? I know that sounds bad but I am worried i’m going to get screwed over both ways?

OP’s posts: |
SayOohLaLa Tue 13-Aug-19 15:34:20

where has the "maximising income" statement come from? Is this something his solicitor has written to you? But yes, I'd see maximising income as making more money, whether through hours, doing a second job like ironing or dog walking in your spare time or getting a better paid job.

Feelinghopeless999 Tue 13-Aug-19 16:11:56

I have just seen it when I have been researching divorce/settlements, etc. I get the impression it’s more aimed at women who don’t go back to work once their kids are older I.e. to stop you being able to claim spousal maintenance indefinitely.... maybe it’s not something that would necessarily affect my situation as I don’t intend to claim any spousal maintenance?

OP’s posts: |
Palaver1 Tue 13-Aug-19 21:55:35

Don’t overthink this please your youngest is only 4

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in