Advanced search

Selling house and moving to rented

(6 Posts)
Redmama24 Mon 22-Jul-19 10:21:52


Myself and my ex partner have split up. We have a 3 year old and own a house (we are both still living here together - fun times).

We are selling our house. Neither of us can afford to buy each other out so it’s the only option. I will be renting a house for me and my little boy.

I’m so worried about finding somewhere to rent, as I work part time and the rent will take up all my wages with nothing left over. I know that once I’m renting I will be able to claim universal credit and also will be receiving maintenance from ex. So I know I will be ok for money however at present, on paper, I can’t prove that I can afford it.

How is any landlord going to accept that?!

I can’t claim benefits until I’ve moved out, but I don’t earn enough before claiming benefits to be able to rent anywhere?!

Anyone been in a similar situation? Any advice much appreciated


OP’s posts: |
scubadiva Sun 28-Jul-19 23:32:34

Hello. I'm in a similar position. Have you checked online using a benefits calculator? You might find you are entitled to something already. I think landlords will accept you so l9ng as you can pay the deposit. You are working part time which is Good. Good luck. It's a nightmare situation.

hadthesnip2 Sun 28-Jul-19 23:49:23

If you're private renting then I think its going to be very tough. Landlords/ Agents have a formula for working out if you can afford the rent, something along the lines of 25x. Therefore to be able to afford a rental payment of £1000 you need to be earning £25k pa. I dont know the exact figures so I think it's best you speak to an Estate Agent & they will tell you (based on your earnings) what rent you can afford.

amillionwishes Thu 01-Aug-19 16:40:19

Make an appt with the CAB and see if you can start claiming for anything ASAP. I’m in the same situation, work part time, need to move out of shared (owned) home. I’m going to see the CAB next week for help as I don’t have a clue how to go about this. Good luck OP

ohwhattodowithmylife Wed 07-Aug-19 13:18:31

Hi, I recently left my husband and privately rented. I'm on universal credit and my earnings are small. I had to pay 3 months rent upfront which I could do. They were happy with that. Good luck

ReggieRed Sat 10-Aug-19 11:21:24

I was in exactly the same situation, I was lucky enough to find a private landlord who I rent directly from so no agents involved, which saved me lots of money.

I went to see the house and spoke with her and explained my situation, I work full time and explained I could afford the rent and would be receiving UC, I borrowed money from my dad to pay the rent and deposit and paid him back once I received my equity payment.

Hope things work out ok for you, I remember feeling so stressed at that time in my life and fretting about how things would turn out, but everything has and will for you too smile

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in