Advanced search

Poll tax

(8 Posts)
Faybaline Mon 27-May-19 12:53:56

Hi there I'm going to be having a trial separation with my husband can anybody please help me I pay the poll tax at the house that my husband and I own if I move into my mothers council house with her do I also have to pay the poll tax at her house as well many thanks

OP’s posts: |
daisypond Mon 27-May-19 13:01:56

What is poll tax? If you mean council tax you remove yourself from the list at your current address and then add yourself to the address at your mum’s address. You don’t need to pay twice.

Faybaline Mon 27-May-19 13:06:53

Thanks yes I meant council tax

OP’s posts: |
runoutofnamechanges Mon 27-May-19 13:19:09

Do you mean council tax in the UK?

How long is the trial separation? If it's less than a month, you would just count as a guest.

Does you mother claim the single person rebate? Technically, if you stay more than a month and she is claiming the rebate, she should add you to her council tax and you should take your name off the council tax at your marital home and your husband should claim the single person rebate (assuming no other adult is living there).

Faybaline Mon 27-May-19 13:39:30

My mother claims the single council tax (uk) and say for instance if I moved back with my husband is it easy to go back on the council tax for our house thanks

OP’s posts: |
runoutofnamechanges Mon 27-May-19 14:27:36

It's very easy to go back on to the council tax if you move back in - just a phone call or online form. The government is always happy to take your money! It's almost as simple to get taken off the council tax bill but you may have to provide proof that you are not living there (eg send them the council tax bill at your new address) and it will take a bit longer as it needs to be processed.

Faybaline Mon 27-May-19 14:36:18

Thanks for your reply's

OP’s posts: |
OneRingToRuleThemAll Wed 29-May-19 08:41:11

I work in Council Tax, and if you move out of your marital home to your mums you won't be named on either bill. Your husband can claim the single person discount and have your name removed, but there is a hierarchy of liability and your mum will still solely be liable. She will lose her 25% though.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in