Talk

Advanced search

Changing surnames

(6 Posts)
Youreadthebabybooks Fri 26-Apr-19 07:08:10

Does anyone have experience of court orders to change children’s surnames ?
I will be seeking the courts permission to change my kids surnames once their father is convicted of a sex crime.
Do I have to wait until he is charged or convicted ? And does anyone know how long it takes to get the court order to change them ?
I’ve already had my solicitor say because of the details of the case against him I should be successful in applying to the court for the name change but I didn’t ask how long it would take.
I want to take them on holiday later in year ( October) and don’t know whether to book it in their current surnames or the one I want it changed to so need an idea on timescales etc any help would be fab !

OP’s posts: |
stucknoue Fri 26-Apr-19 08:12:09

Changing without permission may take significant time as courts are busy. You don't need to change passports straight away of course. Make sure you also have your sole parental responsibility letter for travel, they are getting strict now.

Wheresmyvagina Fri 26-Apr-19 08:13:27

Unless the passports are about to expire, book it in that surname and sort out their IDs afterwards.

Easterbunnyhashoppedoff Fri 26-Apr-19 08:16:03

My friend's exh killed a man. She just changed the dc's surnames. Exh requested a judge order them back. It was refused.

Youreadthebabybooks Fri 26-Apr-19 08:22:17

What happens if he is in prison when we travel ? He may not be able to / want to sign the travel consent letter ? As we are travelling to an Arabic country I’m keen to make sure everything is in order

OP’s posts: |
Notjustaparent Sun 30-Jun-19 17:15:46

Hi,
Jumping on your thread I’m afraid. I’m needing to change my DC’s surnames, and interested in how to do this especially as I don’t think their dad will take to it so well. Sounds like a very similar reason to you....although he is pleading not guilty so is on remand until the hearing.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in