Talk

Advanced search

Getting lent money back

(4 Posts)
fewerresourcesnopaperjams Sat 09-Feb-19 12:45:05

Can I make a claim to get money I lent to my X back?
At the start of the final breakdown if our relationship, I lent my X 3k as they had just been sacked for being drunk at work, over the following 6 months I paid my X's loans and credit card debts (the 3k was intended to do that but my X chose to spend it instead) a further 2k.

Then when we seperated I lent X another 3k to rent somewhere.

X promised to the dcs (didn't say it directly to me) that it would be paid back, X is currently messing about with child maintainence.

Could I make a claim against my X to recover any if the money I lent them? could this be included in the divorce?

It do I just write it and add it to the long list of why I never want to have anything to do with this person again

OP’s posts: |
NorthernBirdAtHeart Sun 10-Feb-19 08:02:02

I’m sure someone with far better knowledge than me will be able to advise.

My immediate thought is, do you have anything in writing to confirm that the money lent were only loans and were to be paid back? From my limited knowledge, I think it’s hard to get back money lent if there is no record of the agreement being the money were loans rather than gifts if you see what I mean.

Citizens Advice or your divorce solicitor will be able to confirm.

Sorry you’re going through a crap time OP flowers

disneyspendingmoney Sun 10-Feb-19 09:56:02

I guessed as much, nothing in writing so it will be on my Xs conscience (as if greedy bitter narcs have one) and even more reason never to see them ever again.

Isadora2007 Sun 10-Feb-19 09:57:14

No. Unless there was an agreement drawn up to repay the loan it wont be possible. Sorry.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in