Advanced search

Separated- moving out of my home with baby-help & advice

(4 Posts)
Ax3l Mon 21-Jan-19 21:38:00

Hello, my partner and I have recently split up. I am currently on maternity leave (7 more weeks) and living in a house that we both own.
I will need to move out of our family home as I would not be able to afford the upkeep by myself.
I have been looking at places to rent but when I return to work I will be doing so on reduced hours (as still BFing) so until I am back full time I understand that I can claim for financial support (universal credit).
My question is how do I start this process? Do I find a house first then apply or apply then find a house? There doesn't seem to be a lot of guidance online. TIA smile

OP’s posts: |
Marmaladegin Mon 21-Jan-19 21:41:04

I'm sure someone better qualified will be along shortly, but I'm really not sure it's in your best interests to move out...

Jen1519 Tue 22-Jan-19 06:16:09

Apply for universal credit immediately- today. It’s paid from the day you apply and it’s not backdated. The application process is a bit of a pain but mostly done online. Don’t wait until you have a new baby to deal with
Good luck xx

Jen1519 Tue 22-Jan-19 06:20:27

Also don’t forget to apply to your local council for a reduction in your council tax as only one adult living there

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in