Talk

Advanced search

I don't want to take more than I need...

(6 Posts)
Haseya Mon 01-Oct-18 21:54:03

I am looking for recommendations for a kind and understanding divorce lawyer.

I wish to divorce my husband after 4 years in a verbally and psychologically abusive marriage. My husband is wealthy and I did not bring much money into the marriage. However, I have contributed to his increasing wealth whilst we have been married and, had we not married I would have put a deposit down on a flat and by now so would have paid off a reasonable amount of mortgage and plus said flat would have increased in value. I know I deserve to leave the marriage with the money to put a roof over my head but I don't want to ask for anywhere near as much as I could do. Does anyone have any recommendations for a family law firm who will fight my corner but understand my wish not to be greedy? Thank you in advance. I divide my time between London and Herefordshire for work so recommendations in either area much appreciated.

OP’s posts: |
sadnessin Mon 01-Oct-18 22:00:48

I don't have any recommendations, sorry, but I'm bumping this thread for you.

Do you have children together?

Haseya Mon 01-Oct-18 22:13:40

No we don't. Thank you.

OP’s posts: |
Pidlan Mon 01-Oct-18 22:23:20

Hey Haseya. I am in a somewhat similar situation, except that there are children involved and we have been separated for 5 years. One thing I would say is to take your time, because I felt exactly like you when we first separated, and until quite recently tbh. But in the last few weeks, after speaking to friends and family, I realise that I am not always the best judge of what's best for me right now. Really think about this before you give up your rights. The law is there to help you get what is rightfully yours, not to help anyone take the piss, so it's usually pretty spot on.

MissedTheBoatAgain Tue 02-Oct-18 02:37:42

To OP

That there is no children should make things a lot more easy to sort out.

My husband is wealthy and I did not bring much money into the marriage. However, I have contributed to his increasing wealth whilst we have been married

This is significant in my view. Assets accrued after the Marriage will be considered Jointly owned, but don't assume that it will result in a 50:50 split. You may not have brought anything to the marriage on day one, but if you can demonstrate you have contributed to your husbands wealth you should seek professional advice.

Last thing I would say is try to settle amicably. If you involve courts costs can spiral out of control rapidly which means there will be less in the pot at the end for Judge to share out.

Good luck.

LadyLapsang Tue 02-Oct-18 07:37:40

Haseya, the thing that struck me from your post is that you consider him abusive. I would worry if you go in with a reasonable request he would beat you down. I would find out what you are likely to be entitled to and think very hard before giving it up.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in