Advanced search

Ex Husband said he can take half my benefits??

(24 Posts)
CrAzYmUmOf2 Sun 02-Sep-18 19:57:07

My ex husband says he doesn't have to give me any money for the kids and it's just voluntary?
And he can claim half my benefits?
Anyone heard of this??

OP’s posts: |
Ginmakesitallok Sun 02-Sep-18 19:57:59


blaaake Sun 02-Sep-18 19:58:36

He's chatting shit

fairgame84 Sun 02-Sep-18 19:58:49

He wishes.
What a bob. Him, not you.

BreakfastAtSquiffanys Sun 02-Sep-18 19:58:50

Bollocks again

fairgame84 Sun 02-Sep-18 19:59:14

Gah! Nob not bob

chipsandgin Sun 02-Sep-18 20:00:45

What a pile of shit. Make an appointment with the Citizens Advice Bureau, they can help you work out what you are entitled to and tell you what he legally has to provide.

FourFriedChickensDryWhiteToast Sun 02-Sep-18 20:01:53

'he can claim half your benefits' in my arse he can.

Frequency Sun 02-Sep-18 20:02:07

If your children are in fulltime education, you are the resident parent (i.e you don't have 50/50 custody) and are his biological children, child maintenance is a legal requirement. You can go via Child Maintenance Options who will take the money from him and pass it to you (for a small fee).

He cannot claim any of your benefits. If he's entitled to benefits he has to make a claim in his own name which won't effect your entitlement.

NewtScamandersNaughtyNiffler Sun 02-Sep-18 20:05:44

He's lying. If he won't pay voluntarily then contact the CMS asap as they won't backdated a claim.

CrAzYmUmOf2 Mon 03-Sep-18 07:50:53

I just hate the fact that he's still
So controlling. Making threats.
I didn't think he could and no it's not 50/50 at all. He may have them for a 2 week holiday a year but thats the longest time.
It's every other wkd and a Wednesday night.
I was thinking of going back to citizens advice. Him saying it's a voluntary contribution 🤷‍♀️ he's so annoying, one month he'll give me 300 the next 150.
It really messes with me trying to sort out bills and shopping etc.

Thanks everyone xx

OP’s posts: |
AJPTaylor Mon 03-Sep-18 08:13:02

Is there any reason why you haveny gone vis cms?

MrsBertBibby Mon 03-Sep-18 08:21:22

You really don't need the CAB! You need to start a CMS claim here

Refuse a family based arrangement as clearly that won't work. Pay your £20 and get the CMS to assess.

If he dicks about with payments, then ask for "collect and pay" and they will surcharge him 20%.

And no, he can't have your benefits.

I'm a family solicitor, btw.

fuzzywuzzy Mon 03-Sep-18 08:22:29

Get child maintenance via CMS, set it up today, it will take time before they start taking money from him.

He can’t take half your benefits, unless you voluntarily hand them over. He can try and make his own claim, but he’ll need to prove his claim. A friends ex tried to claim child benefit and they wrote to friend to confirm that the she no longer lived with the DC and had given up her claim. She told them that was untrue they lived with her & was not giving up her claim.

She heard no more after that!

ScrambledSmeggs Mon 03-Sep-18 08:24:24

Tell him to get to fuck and go through CMS for maintenance.

Summerisdone Mon 03-Sep-18 08:31:20

Definitely get on to the CMS and start an application. My ex used to change amounts from one month to the next and I never knew what I'd be receiving until the actual day, according to him I couldn't moan because some men don't pay anything for their kids hmm
There's no way to budget properly when he is giving different amounts, and you never know if the month is going to come where he decides not to pay anything at all, at least through the CMS you know exactly what you're getting each month and can budget better this way.

CrAzYmUmOf2 Mon 03-Sep-18 11:07:06

So apparently if I go through the CMS I won't get much as he's on a war pension and registered disabled. Though he still works fitting smart metres.
He's a lying narcissist and I just feel like he's still trying to manipulate me all the time, even after 2 years of been separated. (Divorced now)
It's so hard as I could never of afforded a solicitor when going through the divorce and he knew that and he got all his money off his mummy dear.
So I just agreed with taking 10 grand when I should of probably got more.
He kept the house btw.
It's all shit to be honest.
My money went on paying debts so I have nothing apart from my wages and what I get from universal credit.
Anyways that's the long and the short of it x

OP’s posts: |
BlancheM Mon 03-Sep-18 13:05:38

He's not entitled to know anything about your benefits let alone receive any of them. You're the claimant. They're yours!
What an arsehole. Please ignore him love, you have no reason to engage with him anymore

WinkysTeatowel Mon 03-Sep-18 13:15:41

Voluntary to support your own kids confused, sounds like you're well shot of him.

fuzzywuzzy Mon 03-Sep-18 13:18:30

Is he not employed to fit smart meters by a company?

If he’s employed you will get a percentage of his salary.

Put a CMS claim in and see what they say, they go through HMRC & use his previous years salary to calculate how much cold maintenance he has to pay.

VimFuego101 Mon 03-Sep-18 13:21:48

Start a CMS claim! What a twat.

wakeupsmelltheroses Mon 03-Sep-18 15:15:45

Can anyone advise me if the ex H lives abroad can the CMS still help ?

FourFriedChickensDryWhiteToast Mon 03-Sep-18 15:30:56

I don't think so wakeup, but do check on their website.

wakeupsmelltheroses Mon 03-Sep-18 15:43:39

Fourfriedchicken thank you ,I have checked and a REMO order can be done instead .

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in