Talk

Advanced search

Child maintenance

(8 Posts)
Liz2805 Sat 11-Aug-18 08:24:46

Hi, I'm in the process of separating from my partner and working out what maintenance he needs to pay. Ignoring the partners that don't provide properly for children, how do people factor into childcare costs?

Do partners pay a certain amount of maintenance and a portion of the childcare on top, or is the maintenance intended to be inclusive of childcare costs?

Tia x

Caribbeanyesplease Sat 11-Aug-18 08:28:47

There is no obligation for the other half to pay anything than that required by CMS

However if he is reasonable, he will contribute

Mine does but it involves an open good relationship

Caribbeanyesplease Sat 11-Aug-18 08:29:11

And CM is based on salary NOT on costs unfortunately

Liz2805 Sun 12-Aug-18 08:28:11

Thank you x

MissedTheBoatAgain Sun 12-Aug-18 10:30:12

To OP

There is an online calculator that will give you a child maintenance figure. All you need to know is Ex's earnings and the number of nights children stay with Ex. Link is:

www.gov.uk/calculate-your-child-maintenance

Seniorschoolmum Sun 12-Aug-18 10:35:21

Agree with Caribbean, it takes a good relationship but it can be shared evenly. It make take a while, after the split for things to settle down.

I pay childcare costs and bill my ex half of the amount at the end of the month.

He moaned once about the cost of summer holiday care so I suggested he take three weeks off work and look after his ds for his half of the time instead. smile

He hasn’t grumbled since.

Liz2805 Sun 12-Aug-18 19:22:06

Thank you everybody.

PatheticNurse Mon 13-Aug-18 03:18:52

Mine did pay CMS calculation but has recently increased it voluntarily as he said he had a pay rise. He also pays half of school uniform/trip costs. Half of activities - although he did say that the boys had to cut down on their activities as he couldn't afford them but was spending out on himself . This was all in a Court Order though

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: