Talk

Advanced search

How to split

(7 Posts)
Dinklebops Tue 31-Jul-18 01:00:08

Please excuse my naïveté.

I'm Irish & married & looking to divorce. I know that in Ireland, a person needs to be separated for 4 years before divorcing but that's about all I know. I just have a few questions.
1. Can I legally separate immediately? (We are still living together).
2. If my husband agrees, woukd it be possible for us both to keep all our own assets etc? We have no DCs, no joined accounts etc.
3. If my husband & I co-operate, what's the cheapest divorce possible? How expensive is a divorce when the parties are in agreement?

Thank you.

OP’s posts: |
Dinklebops Tue 31-Jul-18 12:50:13

Does anyone have any idea about any of this from personal experience or otherwise? I'm terrified. I've googled to the last but can't get the answers in plain English. So much so, I'm starting to think divorce is too high a hill to climb; even though I'm in a marriage that cannot go on. confused

Isitovernow Tue 21-Aug-18 17:31:48

I'm not Irish but I too am curious about these questions. My guess is that everything should go smoothly considering it's amicable. I take it your DH wants to split too? How did you get to that point?

Dinklebops Tue 21-Aug-18 17:35:39

@Isitovernow Thanks for replying. I've spoken to my husband and he said he just wants to ''get it over and done with as soon as possible.'' That made me sad. Yes, we both want to split so the divorce will be pretty straightforward. Because I'm Irish, we can't get divorced for four years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So we are legally separating while still living together. I regret all of this. If there is any way you can save your marriage, I'd recommend doing that as this is not fun. That said, I know myself and my husband tried our best.

achoocashew Tue 21-Aug-18 18:32:41

Surely you'd consult a family solicitor!

Isitovernow Tue 21-Aug-18 21:32:13

I'm not getting divorced but if I do decide to, I think that's what I'll do all right. I can see though how it'd be daunting.

Geordiegirl1988 Fri 24-Aug-18 20:59:30

4 years till you can divorce ? My goodness how backwards is Ireland

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in