Talk

Advanced search

How did you feel when divorce was final?

(30 Posts)
whatnextfred Sat 14-Apr-18 20:00:51

I got my decree absolute yesterday. I was sad and thoughtful and got pissed.

Today I feel unburdened. Free. Lighter.

OP’s posts: |
TheQueenOfWands Sat 14-Apr-18 20:02:55

Really fucking relieved.

ferriswheel Sat 14-Apr-18 20:06:52

Do you just get it through the post? How long between starting the divorce process and getting it finalised? Im 20 months in and nowhere near that.

whatnextfred Sat 14-Apr-18 20:14:52

About 12 months. We had finances agreed and exh admitted adultery. Solicitor emailed, got it in mail today

littlepill Sat 14-Apr-18 20:21:04

Today! There has to be some irony, in fact.

I was helping ex. His washing machine has broken. I was loading his dirty underpants in my machine when he asked if I had seen the decree absolute! My copy hasn’t arrived yet grin

What this proves is that an incompetent husband is not made competent through divorce. gringringrin

I feel a tiny bit special somehow. Like gaining membership to a special club. And it’s quite cool we are still friends (loosely!)

littlepill Sat 14-Apr-18 20:22:09

Meant to add, took about 5 months but no quibbles and barely used the courts.

whatnextfred Sat 14-Apr-18 20:23:39

Congrats littlepill smile

littlepill Sat 14-Apr-18 20:30:36

Thank you, whatnext smile You too, congratulations! smile

I feel lighter, too. And excited. Who knows what the future holds...?

NoGoodAtHousework Sat 14-Apr-18 20:43:59

Filed in September, received decree absolute first week of feb 😀

Did it all myself as no assets - just a house that I'm have TOE and remortgaging - feeling all grown up!

Feels weird actually being divorced after being separated for nearly 3 years.

Congrats everyone else that's through it!

mrssapphirebright Sat 14-Apr-18 21:34:48

I felt an enormously sense of relief and sadness all in one go. I felt empowered, relieved, vulnerable and to be honest shocked (Evan though I filed for divorce).

ferriswheel Sat 14-Apr-18 21:53:55

I loved being married and i loved being a wife. But divorce for me is the only option. He is a nasty bastard.

'A wedding ring is the smallest handcuff youll ever wear.'

Sound familiar?

YoucancallmeVal Sun 15-Apr-18 00:06:04

For me it felt like when I had paid off my student loan. I'd gone through years of shit and then you just get a letter through the post and it's done. I feel I should have had it accompanied by balloons and champagne, or at least a congratulatory something. As it is, mine just hit the doormat, I read it, put it somewhere and that's it done. (I also then got drunk. )

PickAChew Sun 15-Apr-18 00:07:04

Elated

HabituallyOptimistic Sun 15-Apr-18 00:08:01

I had a party planned and a new dress to wear - in reality I cancelled the party and cried for a week. Not because I missed him or anything but I was so exhausted and broken from what I'd been through as part of the divorce process.

LadyB49 Sun 15-Apr-18 00:12:18

Two years separation, then I filed for divorce. The divorce took about four months. It helped that i worked in the solicitors office 😀👍

littlepill Sun 15-Apr-18 09:24:38

I want to post this here for us to smile a bit: divorced

Sounds like we have all pulled through it really well! smile

littlepill Sun 15-Apr-18 09:25:18

Whoops!
Here: Just divorced

Chasingsquirrels Sun 15-Apr-18 09:28:22

I felt sad, despite by that point it was long over (years) and I was living with my new partner.

whatnextfred Sun 15-Apr-18 13:51:45

People keep asking if I am having a party... although I'm very relieved it's behind me I don't feel like it should be celebrated. And yes, it is sad

deardinah Fri 20-Apr-18 14:05:25

absolutely nothing - well except maybe glad that i didn't have to pay for it anymore

QueenofSerene Fri 20-Apr-18 14:08:20

Relieved for sure, there was a new sense of freedom and meant I could marry my now DH.

starryeyed19 Fri 20-Apr-18 14:12:35

Like a huge weight had been lifted from my shoulders

GrandTheftWalrus Mon 23-Apr-18 09:49:20

I felt relieved. And I also felt the same when DP got his last week.

purplelass Mon 23-Apr-18 10:02:14

Relieved
Free!
Exhausted...

Best thing I've done in a long long time smile

BitOutOfPractice Mon 23-Apr-18 10:05:14

I didn't really feel anything. Just "oh!"

In fairness we had been separated for 10 years before we got divorced (just never got round to it / hated each other enough!) so it was a bit of an anti climax when it happened. We are still friends and had a collaborative divorce with just one solicitor. It coast £500

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in