Advanced search

Getting sole parental responsibility

(6 Posts)
TheSaviorsAreNonU Thu 15-Mar-18 19:14:15

ExH is in another country and is extremely non compliant. Since we've been in UK everything is a battle - he won't sign admissions forms for schools etc.

Rather than fight a million court battles over every tiny thing what I want is to go for sole parental responsibility. I can't reasonably deal with him in another country and not agreeing to anything every time I need to apply for school or get medical treatment for the kids etc.

Would it be possible? He's not abusive or anything, just a dick who likes making life really hard and doesn't have the kids best interests at heart.

He also rarely sees them - a couple of times a year

OP’s posts: |
jaimelannistersgoldenhand Wed 21-Mar-18 13:04:57

I'm a single parent and my ex has never signed school admissions forms. I've never given the school their Dad's contact details and I've applied for passports without their Dad's details.

jaimelannistersgoldenhand Wed 21-Mar-18 13:06:41

I've never been asked for ex's details from dentists or hospitals either.

Starlight2345 Wed 21-Mar-18 13:41:40

Then stop asking.

My DS hasn't seen his dad in 7 years.. He has since got a passport applied to primary secondary school, gone through various treatments and operations and is on controlled drugs.even had him christened. His dad has PR but no involvement.
I have simply applied.

GRW Wed 21-Mar-18 14:07:03

If you were married and his name is on their birth certificates you won't be able to remove his parental responsibility without his consent. It sounds like he would be unlikely to agree to it.

TheFamilyLawPA Fri 23-Mar-18 11:56:38

Hi TheSaviorsAreNonU.

I am sorry to hear about the stress you are having dealing with your ex! It's the biggest headache I know! If you don't mind me asking, what is your nationality? Different countries have different rules with regards to family relationships and breakdown etc. E.g if you need to apply for a passport, both parents' signatures may be required etc. As far as here in the UK, the day to day things that you have mentioned do no require all parties with PR to consent. As long as YOU have PR then you are legally entitled to make day to day decisions for you child(ren) by yourself.

As another member has said, it is extremely difficult to remove a father's PR unless it is in the best interests of the child. This is a decision that the courts will take after careful consideration of the circumstances.

Going forward, if you need to get something done that does require both parents' consent and you are still having problems getting your ex to cooperate, then you might want to think about applying for a 'Specific Issue Order'. If you Google it you'll find a ton of info.

All the best xx

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in