Advanced search

Financial settlement

(5 Posts)
CherryBlossomPink Sun 11-Mar-18 23:17:18

I seperated from my husband 18 months ago and am now looking to start divorce proceedings. He is already living with another woman and I am living alone in a rented property. There are no children involved, I wanted to wait until the marital home was resolved (ended in repossession 2 months ago)
I am looking for a clean break - our only asset is my pension (final salary)
I have paid in 28 years to the pension, we were married for 11 years and have been seperated since July 2016.
Is he entitled to my pension from the time of divorce or separation?
Also, we were left with debts which he is refusing to acknowledge, so I’m paying - can I offset these against what he is entitled to?

OP’s posts: |
NameWithChange Mon 12-Mar-18 02:03:26

You need to speak to solicitor - most will give you a free consultation.

suzie89 Wed 21-Mar-18 06:44:17

From what I know with my financial settlement he is entitled to the amount that you've paid in since being married to him. Whatever you paid in before your marriage is yours.

Fintress Wed 21-Mar-18 07:05:28

Definitely see a solicitor ASAP. Technically he is entitled to a percentage of the part of your pension you paid into from getting married to the date of legal separation. You need to advise the solicitor the date you separated. Debts will also be taken into account in the overall financial picture. Important to check if he ever paid into a pension when you were married as that can offset yours.

AJPTaylor Wed 21-Mar-18 07:09:39

is he getting legal advice? is it acrimonious?

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in