Talk

Advanced search

Broken settlement order

(4 Posts)
WoodFire Thu 08-Mar-18 20:06:46

I am hoping some of you can help.My parents divorced and part of the settlement was that my dad take out a life insurance that would pay my mum on his death. According to my dad he only took out a 10 year one and that had long since passed. He said he could not get one after that due to ill health. He is now quite ill and if he passes away, my mum will lose the maintenance he pays her and will receive no life insurance money. I am so angry with my dad. Is it worth my Mum contacting her solicitor. I am so sad it has come to this.

OP’s posts: |
Dacquoise Mon 12-Mar-18 13:11:14

Hi Woodfire, take a look at the Consent order or Court Order from the divorce. If it says your dad had to take out an order for the life of the maintenance, then that's what he should have done. I am assuming it's joint lives maintenance. I have the same, my ex-husband had to set up a life insurance policy which I pay for. If he hasn't done what he was ordered to do, then an initial appointment with a solicitor would be worth it.

NotSuchASmugMarriedNow1 Mon 12-Mar-18 19:05:54

Why are you angry with your dad? He tried to get insurance and they wouldn't give it I don't see how that's his fault.

The court can order him to take out insurance but if companies won't cover him there isn't anything the court can do surely

Dacquoise Mon 12-Mar-18 21:38:59

I think the Op is saying her dad was supposed to take out longer term insurance than he did. He is now ill and can't get insurance, in which case she has every reason to be annoyed with her dad. Her mum will have to make a claim on his estate if he passes away which could have been avoided with the right policy.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in