Talk

Advanced search

Leave/Divorce an unemployed spouse

(2 Posts)
RedSquirrelMoonlight Thu 22-Feb-18 12:29:45

I care a lot about my husband, but I'm slowly learning that I need to love myself more.

My H took voluntary redundancy a few years ago with the idea that he'd use the time and money for grad school. After one semester he stopped (he was getting anxiety about writing papers and tests) and GP recommended he hold off and do CBT. And he has been dealing with depression and anxiety.

The above was 3 years ago. He's now drank all his redundancy money and spends more of "our" money a month on booze and cigarettes than we do on household items and utilities. My salary goes into the joint account, but I plan to stop this.

He used to have a very good job-- earned circa 65k. I do well so he doesn't need to have a high stress / high pay job, but he needs to do something for income. Hell just enough to pay for his own booze and fags!

No kids, but we have a dog and can

I'm at my wits end with him. We've been together for 10 years and he knows me better than anyone. Yet cause of the booze and the lack there fav structured life, he doesn't seem like the same person anymore. He goes through the motions (therapy, etc) but doesn't act upon anything except going to the pub.

Anyone been in a similar situation? I'm feeling both cruel and foolish.

OP’s posts: |
serena5610 Sat 03-Mar-18 03:24:35

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in