Advanced search

Partner divorcing when does financial stuff get sorted

(8 Posts)
isseywithcats Sun 11-Feb-18 10:52:31

my partner has finally got round to sorting out his divorce, he has done the financial statement,he has been given a date next month for his decree nisi, the thing is his ex wife is still living in the house they owned together that he paid for, (is mortgage free) so what i want to know is does the house get sorted out for selling before he gets his decree absolute or after, his ex is mentally unstable and though she hasnt contested the divorce she will fight tooth and nail to hold onto the house, which means we will be still renting , which costs an arm and a leg, and as the house is worth enough for them both to buy themselves a house outright what will happen if she refuses to sell, we live in one part of the country and she lives in another part so not local enough for him to sort it in person, both in their 60s so not a lot of time before he retires

OP’s posts: |
mrssapphirebright Sun 11-Feb-18 13:43:01

Unless they have dependant children at home I doubt she will be able to stay in the house. Before the decree nisi your dp will have to get a financial consent order done and dusted. If they can't agree on a split of assets then this will need to go to court. This is often the drawn out part of a divorce.

MrsBertBibby Sun 11-Feb-18 14:41:36

Your partner needs to see a solicitor, but he may not be able to face it.

Can you buy on your own? Because I would do that rather than wait, tbh.

isseywithcats Sun 11-Feb-18 14:59:21

he has seen a solicitor has cost him 2.5 thousand pounds so far he has given the solicitor all the financial stuff, pension etc, he is 62 and im 61 so not able to get a mortgage in this area as houses are in the 80- 100 thousand bracket and even between us we dont earn enough to get a four year mortgage at 100% , his solicitor has sent a court date for the nisi, but hasnt said anything about splitting the sale of the house, no dependent children his daughter is in her 40s and dosent live at home, she is independent

OP’s posts: |
Brakebackcyclebot Sun 11-Feb-18 15:02:57

I wouldn't advise getting decree absolute until finances are sorted. Hasn't there been any discussion about the house & equity shares in it? Is you partner doing thus without a solicitor? The starting point fir split would be 50/50. Tell you DP to get to a solicitor!

isseywithcats Sun 11-Feb-18 15:26:23

thank you he has seen a solicitor and his ex has given her so much verbal abuse that now she can only talk to her solicitor has been banned from contacting his solicitor and my partners solicitor is talking to hers, and he has done the financial statements assets, pension etc, and his solicitor has said starting is 50/50 but thats all, his ex wife is on benefits and has been since they split due to her metal health problems, so she has no pension other than state, but even if it goes to court i can see her not letting viewings etc, a nightmare as we are in england and she is in wales

OP’s posts: |
MrsBertBibby Sun 11-Feb-18 17:03:40

Has your husband issued form A? There seems little point spending money on voluntary disclosure if his ex is unlikely to agree a sale.

isseywithcats Sun 11-Feb-18 17:08:19

just asked him and he said yes she has given what you have helped with today hes going to talk to her tomorrow to clarify things thank you all for you advice

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in