Advanced search

Council house

(6 Posts)
Beauty30 Wed 07-Feb-18 22:37:44

Hi everyone, I am very new to this platform and will really appreciate you any contribution from you guys.
I have been married to my ex for almost 15yrs with 3 kids but we have lived together for 7yrs and separated for the last 7years. I had to leave him and moved out of the house 7 yrs ago due to a very abusive marriage. He used to torture me mentally by calling me names and constantly reducing my self esteem to 0% and bully me in the presence of my kids. While we were together we had a joint tenancy council accommodation but when i left he was in arrears with his rent so I get calls about rent due and payments from council. This made me took my name off the tenancy.
I have been living privately for 7years while he has been living alone in a 3 bedroom house for 7 years but I just cannot do it anymore, it's just too much for me as he does not pay any maintenance for the kids. I want the council home back as i but without him in the house.

Can anyone help please.

rose69 Thu 08-Feb-18 00:50:15

Try your local council's housing department. Good luck

Pixiedust1973 Thu 08-Feb-18 00:58:57

I know someone who did this. Seek advice from council or CAB. It is possible!

Beauty30 Thu 08-Feb-18 19:13:28

Thanks 😊😊

fleshmarketclose Thu 08-Feb-18 19:19:24

Did you have a joint tenancy? If the house is in joint names you could discuss with the council terminating a joint tenancy with a view to you having the house under a single tenancy. If the council don't agree to you having the house under your single tenancy then you terminating a joint tenancy would see him evicted from the house if the council didn't agree that as a single person he needed a three bedroom house wink

Beauty30 Thu 08-Feb-18 20:07:47

@fleshmarketclose ......Well, it was a joint tenancy initially but it is now in his sole name. The council have informed me that they cannot terminate his tenancy that I will have to get a tenancy adjustment order from court before they could change the tenancy to my name.

I have spoken to a family lawyer who assured me that it is possible for the court to do that but it's very expensive... but I think I will just have to look for the cash and get him out of the house.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: