Advanced search

What to do with the Marital Home

(3 Posts)
Dyno71 Wed 17-Jan-18 11:14:30


I hope you can help. Currently separated and still living with stbxh. We have shared care (court ordered) so will need to have separate living arrangements. Ex-husband is narcissistic and financially controlling. He is refusing to move out until financial proceedings are resolved and we are due to go to court next month. We don't speak to one another, and have a family support worker as we have a dd 12 years old and DS7 years old.

I don't work and am making steps to look for a new job once court proceedings are finalised. I am happy for home to be sold to get rid of ex-husband once and for all. Ideally I would like to stay in home for 1-2 years to get a job and rent until I can possibly buy a shared ownership property. We live in London and house prices are too high. There is only about 250k equity.

Has anyone been in this position? Hard to know what the courts will decide, as it depends on the judge. Ex-husband is on 70k, so he could rent or get a mortgage. (although he has taken out a 20k loan, and is unable to buy me out). But he is adamant that he wants to stay in the house. So frustrating as he only cares about himself. No doubt he would love to see me on the streets, he tried to get sole custody and failed, said I wasn't the the primary carer, called me a part time mother, and that I was Bi Polar( i'm not and had to get a letter from the doctor to say I'm mentally stable).This is what I'm dealing with.I looked after the kids, while he advanced his career.

Thanks for reading

OP’s posts: |
Babycham1979 Wed 17-Jan-18 11:22:16

Well, if you have court ordered shared care (50/50), you won't be able to just kick him out of the house.

What's stopping you from getting a job immediately? Surely, wherever you live, you'll need to be able to pay rent/mortgage immediately?

Dyno71 Wed 17-Jan-18 11:32:14

I have been trying to get a job, I've been for a few interviews. I'm actually going on a back to work course and exploring lots of options. Unfortunately my ex-husband undermined me a great deal, and living with him is very stressful and is not good for our children's mental health, we are due to get more specialist help due to ex-husband's conduct. So I need to support our children as they have always been my main priority.

I don't want to kick him out. I just want him to be reasonable. He's pleading poverty and has a good job. It would be in his interest to do the right thing by our children.

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in