Advanced search

Getting separated and need advice on benefits

(9 Posts)
Mumof2startingagain Tue 16-Jan-18 12:02:14

My husband and I are separating (his choice) and I am petrified about affording a home for the kids. I gave up my career and haven’t worked for two years -he earns a good wage but not enough to run two homes (he thinks he earns a lot more than he does in reality). We have a history of debt and my credit rating in practically nil. We are renting and so no assets etc. My question is what will I be entitled to? I just need to find out what benefits are available in real terms to see me through the next few months whilst I get out there and find a job to support us? My husband has said he will help and support them but he is very very controlling and always change s the goalposts and so I really don’t want to be reliant on him in anyway -I need to sort out my situation and know I can afford the home myself -in between crying non stop of course!!! Has anyone got an ideas for me of where to start? I have looked online at the government benefit calculator but it is all so confusing. 😀

OP’s posts: |
Gemmafionadeeble Tue 16-Jan-18 13:20:57

Call the Tax Credits people first off. Calculator is OK but not certain.
It takes 4-5 weeks for money to start coming through and then you will know what you will get from them.
Its a single claim now, and if you are receive money at the moment it will change.
Contact local council housing officer to find out about housing benefit as you may well be entitled to that as well. Again some forms and takes a few weeks but worth it.

I work and have good income but was actually suprised at what I was entitled to. That with CSA money from ex and I do get by, somewhat better than when I was married it seems.

good luck x

Mumof2startingagain Tue 16-Jan-18 14:17:35

Thanks so much Gemma I will do that now. I know it’s jsut the start of shifting through the fog but I haven’t a clue where to begin (I was previously a very confident independent woman with a great career and so can’t quite believe how I let myself end up so vulnerable and in this situation. Anyone else have any ideas for me me -all will be gratefully received. 😀

OP’s posts: |
HalfMyLife Tue 16-Jan-18 15:19:44

If you speak to the CAB they can help you check what benefits you'll be entitled to.
Good luck xx

MrsBertBibby Tue 16-Jan-18 20:15:16

Has he said what he thinks he should be paying you? How old are your kids?

JooMooMies Wed 17-Jan-18 00:43:14

Hi, check with tax credits to see if universal credit is active in your area yet - if so you can claim that which covers all sorts of benefits. Plus check for free school meals etc too if your kids are in school. I looked at a website something along the lines of gingerbread, I think which helped. Try not to panic. It’s a naff situation but you’ll be ok xx

HandMsMonkey Wed 17-Jan-18 00:59:49

Citizens advice bureau are great. Book an appointment for debt and benefit help.

If you are not working you will roughly get...

Child benefit for each child £20pw for 1st and £15pw for second

Child tax credit's £60pw for each child

Income support if youngest child is a baby or job seekers allowance if they are school age £120 fortnightly

Housing Benefit.... depends how much the rent is but if you rent somewhere modest it should all be covered.

Council tax benefit... I think around 70% of its covered.

Free school meals.

HandMsMonkey Wed 17-Jan-18 01:02:39

Oh and then whatever child support arrangement you make. This should be calculated from his wage. The Child maintenance service can help with that if needed.

Mumof2startingagain Wed 17-Jan-18 06:50:00

Thanks so much -this is really kind and helpful of you all -wish me luck -and breathe shesays!!!!

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in