Talk

Advanced search

EX hasn’t paid legal fees

(11 Posts)
JLbaby Mon 04-Dec-17 13:37:03

I’m after a bit of advice, ex and I divorced back in October. through mediation - we agreed to pay solicitors costs 50/50. His solicitors bill came to me and I paid my share. My solicitors bill came to him, and he’s now refusing to pay his share...as their client I am liable for the fees which I have paid but I am now considerably out of pocket because I’ve paid my share and his share (my solicitor will refund me his share when/if they receive it). Also my solicitor is now saying she will charge me for every time she has to chase him for payment. Is there anything I can do about this? I can’t really tell her not to chase as obviously I want him to pay his share of the fees so I can get the money back.

Does anyone have any advice?

MrsBertBibby Mon 04-Dec-17 15:29:13

Did your solicitor tell you this was a monumentally stupid arrangement, or give any advice about how to ensure you didn't get shafted?

If not, you may have a valid claim against her firm.

I've never heard anything so stupid in 20 years of practice.

JLbaby Mon 04-Dec-17 15:38:40

No she didn’t! And certainly didn’t give me any advice about how to ensure I didn’t get shafted, which clearly I have!

I am really pretty annoyed about this - do you have any advice on what I can do practically?

MrsBertBibby Mon 04-Dec-17 15:45:03

Complain about it to the complaints person at her firm. Tell them you're not paying until they agree to deal with enforcement free, or you'll go to the Legal Ombudsman.

JLbaby Mon 04-Dec-17 15:54:27

I’ve already paid her fees (my share and my ex’s share too!)

MrsBertBibby Mon 04-Dec-17 15:56:01

Then tell them they need to sort this or you'll go to the ombudsman.

TheHodgeoftheHedge Mon 04-Dec-17 15:57:02

Solicitors should not be billing you for chasing him for payment especially if it was an agreement that they drafted that the bills would be split 50/50. Appalling.

JLbaby Mon 04-Dec-17 16:05:10

I’m glad I shouldn’t have to pay for chasing him, she’s acting like she’s doing me a favour chasing him for payment!

ArnoldBee Mon 04-Dec-17 16:06:08

Also how much are their fees going to be for chasing up the payment compared to the amount owed so worth considering not perusing it if there is only going to be a small difference?

JLbaby Mon 04-Dec-17 16:12:20

I’ve no idea but to be honest I don’t see why I should have to pay for her chasing fees that someone else hasn’t paid.

MrsBertBibby Mon 04-Dec-17 16:19:38

Well usually, it is quite appropriate for a solicitor to charge for enforcing costs or other awards, but in this case, where they have let you get in such an unnecessary pickle, it really isn't OK.

Complete idiocy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now