Talk

Advanced search

Reasonable length of financial negotiations?

(8 Posts)
westendgirlx Mon 13-Nov-17 18:51:47

Just wondering how long the financial side of divorce negotiations is deemed reasonable? My ex refused mediation, then we negotiated for a few months and got nowhe because he wouldn't give all his financial information. Then, I put things on hold because he took me to court over residency of our daughter. I was granted residency, but it took 6 months.

I have been negotiating again since January 2017. We are now separated for 3 years. He has started giving some information but he hasn't stated what he wants from the settlement.

I have applied for legal aid to take things to court, but he has objected saying we are still in negotiations!

MrsBertBibby Mon 13-Nov-17 19:30:52

I'd have advised you to issue months ago.

westendgirlx Mon 13-Nov-17 19:37:26

I wanted to in January, but my solicitor advised that there had to be evidence of negotiations or I wouldn't get legal aid.

westendgirlx Mon 13-Nov-17 19:38:38

I'm just wondering how many months or years is deemed reasonable negotiation time?

NameWithChange Mon 13-Nov-17 21:36:18

He is messing you around no end. So bloody stressful for you.

My EH did this. Been gone 3 years and still stalling. Recently discovered that he inherited a large amount of money a few months after leaving me with debts - he had basically made sure he has spent most of it so me and the children don't get a penny - I would never even have wanted it. Absolute bastard.

Make sure he isn't running up debts etc that could be twisted into your finance.

I took mine to Court in the end - that process still takes a long time....

Good luck. It is horrible.

MyGastIsFlabbered Mon 13-Nov-17 22:41:15

You can continue negotiations once court proceedings are issued. In fact it’s encouraged. I say this as someone who is 2 1/2 years post separation and still going through it....

westendgirlx Mon 13-Nov-17 22:45:59

I'm pushing things as much as I can! My solicitor says she is going to counter his objection. I hope the legal aid board will grant me the legal aid or don't know how I can obtain anything.

We have a joint mortgage on the house he lives in (our old house) and I check each month that he pays (he has). Don't have any other joint debts.....I dont think he has got any debts in my name that is don't know about. My credit rating seems still okay and heard nothing.

Let me know how you get on.

westendgirlx Mon 13-Nov-17 22:48:37

Without legal aid I can't afford court. I need court to remove myself from the mortgage as he is refusing to sell. He is trying to stop me getting legal aid.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now