Talk

Advanced search

Divorcing without child and financial agreements

(5 Posts)
iVampire Fri 10-Nov-17 07:07:37

Is this even possible?

I ask because I am newly diagnosed with a form of leukaemia, and I’ve realised that I don’t want to die as ‘wife of’ (crystallising of existing issues, not out of the blue)

But I don’t think we could have a sensible negotiation about finances until my prognosis is rather clearer, and as the DC are teens they will decide for themselves where they live.

So is it possible to dissolve marriage first? And if we did it that way round, are there any particular pitfalls to guard against (yes, I’ll take proper legal advice when I decide what I want to do; right now I simply want to know if this way round could work at all)

Wishingandwaiting Fri 10-Nov-17 07:12:03

Yes it is possible
I did it.

But OP I think you need to pause. Focus on health I would.

scrabbler3 Fri 10-Nov-17 07:15:03

It's definitely possible. Whether it's advisable is another matter.

I'm really sorry about your diagnosis.

iVampire Fri 10-Nov-17 14:42:14

Thank you.

I’m not going to rush in to anything. It really is just a case of knowing some options

PS: wishing channeling Yoda I appreciate

BubblesBuddy Sun 12-Nov-17 20:18:57

I am sorry about your situation but it is just not advisable to divorce without settling everything. Finance can be varied after an agreement has been reached but it is better to be clear from the start. This is only fair to your children as well. Also, the views of children are taken into account but may not be the overriding factor in deciding main carer and residence. Issues such as location of a parent, school and size of property regarding bedrooms and parental contact arrangements have to be considered.

Therefore take a step back. See how you get on with treatment and then think about your options after that.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: