Talk

Advanced search

Cost of divorce

(8 Posts)
motheroreily Wed 25-Oct-17 22:01:56

I’m so worried about the cost of getting divorced. I’ve just had my first solicitors bill which is over £600 to be paid in 29 days. And nothing has been resolved yet. So far he’s reviewed the financial agreement my husband proposed and suggested some changes. My husband won’t negotiate or accept what I’ve proposed.

I don’t have the money to file for divorce and pay this bill. And then there will be more bills in the future ahhhh. I just don’t know what to do.

Jessie1980 Thu 26-Oct-17 08:00:25

Would you be entitled to legal aid?

MrsBertBibby Thu 26-Oct-17 08:19:21

How about mediation?

motheroreily Thu 26-Oct-17 09:09:17

Thanks for the replies. I don’t think I’d get legal aid.

We will have to try mediation next. I was just shocked to get a solicitor bill already. They also want an additional £200 as credit. I might contact them and ask if I can make a couple of payments

I earn £28k so it’s a reasonable salary but I don’t have much left after I pay rent, childcare and travel to work.

NotSureIfiAmWell Tue 31-Oct-17 21:53:20

My costs are approximately £600/mth and l am 4 months into our divorce.

Hotheadwheresthecoldbath Mon 06-Nov-17 16:29:58

The solicitors usually let you pay in installments.I put in money to an account with them whenever I had any spare to offset any big bills.I am on a similar budget and once you have worked your way in to credit and trickle money in it gets a bit easier.
I know it's rubbish and hard to do even extra work at first because of the children.But it all gets easier.I am nearly there and only on last bill to come in ,I hope.

Inkandbone Mon 06-Nov-17 16:31:32

Someone I know was ruined financially by their divorce. It can be expensive.

trina94 Mon 06-Nov-17 17:01:37

I won't even lie to you the divorce is going to cost a bomb. I know someone who is legally divorced however the case is still ongoing it has been going on for about two years now. The only way the divorce would not cost as much if you both agree on an agreement that suits you both. The more the divorce goes on the more you would have to pay, there's your solicitor fee's, court fee's and barrister fee's that you would have to pay. I would advise you to try and come to an agreement that suits you both as soon as possible because the divorce would not be cheap

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now