Talk

Advanced search

What happens to a gifted car?

(6 Posts)
TunnelofLove485 Tue 24-Oct-17 15:18:44

Hi all,
Asking on behalf of family member who has separated from husband. Trying to keep it amicable, they are selling their joint car to pay off other debts. A different family member wants to buy my divorcing family member a car. Nothing extravagant, no more than 3.5k. No expectation to pay back.
Question though- if they do this before the divorce will the value of that car have to legally be halved in the settlement? Even though it was a gift?
Any ideas?

happinessbythekilowatt Tue 24-Oct-17 17:21:03

No advice sorry but bumping this for you!

Jessie1980 Thu 26-Oct-17 08:03:07

I was told by a solicitor that anything aquired after the date of separation isn't included.

TunnelofLove485 Thu 26-Oct-17 08:14:16

Thanks, are you in the UK?

babybarrister Fri 27-Oct-17 22:27:49

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TunnelofLove485 Sat 28-Oct-17 08:38:27

Thank you, I had read that that would be the case in England. The car has not been signed over yet and we are reluctant to do so because of this. One of the couple is going to be losing their job very soon and therefore will not be paying any child maintaince. If they didn’t pay that for, say, a couple of years, would the court take that into account? Sorry to be vague, it could be identifying.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now