Advanced search

Child maintenance payments - what do they cover??

(6 Posts)
StarlightSlippers Sat 21-Oct-17 15:56:24

OH has just left me and 2 young children, I have seen my solicitor and they are asking for an interim payment to cover the mortgage and living expenses (I have been a SAHM as agreed during the relationship to cut down on childcare costs and enable OH's career progression) I am unsure whether when you go on the CMS website the amount it calculates is supposed to cover everything for your child, or if I use that amount for food, clothes, activities etc and then add on a % of the mortgage, council tax etc. Anyone have any experience?

MissWimpyDimple Sat 21-Oct-17 16:04:50

The amount on the calculator is exactly what you get. How you spend it is up to you.

Obviously you may be able to negotiate more with you partner, or he may pay more but many get nothing.

Don’t forget that you may be able to claim other assistance, tax credits etc.

MissWimpyDimple Sat 21-Oct-17 16:05:28

You don’t say if you are married. This will make a big difference in what you are likely to get.

hahahaIdontgetit Sat 21-Oct-17 16:06:57

CSA is the minimum that has to be paid, but what you spend it on is your business. It's probably a good idea to try and negotiate above that level and decide if you are sharing clothes, bikes, holidays etc

CredulousThickos Sat 21-Oct-17 16:08:24

Mine just about covers a bottle of gin and a few packs of fags.


StarlightSlippers Sat 21-Oct-17 16:16:24

Crikey, it's not much really is it, as a % of the non resident parents pay. Yes we are married. I'll use that as a starting point then...

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: