Talk

Advanced search

Shocked by lawyers bill !!!!!!

(8 Posts)
user1467480231 Thu 19-Oct-17 17:20:42

Just fainted at the lawyers bill I've just received and feel very, very low. I have no money left and think I will now have to put the breaks on and let my bastard ex pay me the pittance he has proffered instead of carrying on in court. I'm gutted. Absolutely devastated, especially as it was HE who wanted the divorce.

Has anyone else has the nasty shock of the lawyers bill??

2014newme Thu 19-Oct-17 17:22:36

They should have told you their fees in advance, didn't they do that? Did you ask for an interim bill? How much are the fees?
💐

MyBrilliantDisguise Thu 19-Oct-17 17:26:21

Shouldn't that come out of joint funds, eg equity on the house?

TheCarpentersWalrus Thu 19-Oct-17 18:13:20

My lawyer charges £28 for each email he reads and £28 for replying. That's not including VAT. Haven't been emailing him so much lately. Unfortunately they like to be paid as you go along because of the very real risk your divorce settlement will be less than the final bill. I have never spent so much money on anything except a flat. sad

hiyasminitsme Thu 19-Oct-17 18:16:06

Why shocked? Didn't s/he outline the charges at the start? If not you'd have valid grounds for a complaint

OverlyYappy Thu 19-Oct-17 18:17:32

Thankfully I got legal aid but couldn’t believe what it cost to divorce. It’s unbelievable

Secretsout Fri 20-Oct-17 11:36:29

Mine has been billing me each month and I've spent £11k since Xmas. That was only for financial negotiations and dealing with my narc ex. We haven't even been to court! Mine charges by the hour, broken down in to 10 minute slots. I couldn't afford to go to court but I know i would have got a better deal.

Secretsout Fri 20-Oct-17 11:37:37

To add....I have pretty much given my entire salary to my solicitor this year 😱

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now