Advanced search

How to respond to the petition there's no space to write!

(12 Posts)
Weasleyismyking Tue 17-Oct-17 11:11:57

Hi everyone,
I"ve got through a divorce petition stating my unreasonable behaviour hmm.
I'd like to disagree with the statement but not defend the case as i have no money to open my own petition.
There is a question asking if I agree with the statement, and if not on what grounds. But the box to answer the question is tiny!
It doesn't say anywhere that i can continue on an additional sheet (I only want to add one paragraph).
Where do i put my answer please?!

Imnotaslimjim Tue 17-Oct-17 11:37:39

I would write it out on a separate sheet then glue it in over the box and fold it up. Then it's in the right place and you get to say everything you want to.

Allthebestnamesareused Tue 17-Oct-17 11:50:31

Write see attached in the box and staple your reply to it making sure you put the Petitioner and Respondent details and case number.

However I believe and I am sure a family lawyer will be along to confirm this soon that if you say you don't agree with the statement it becomes a "defended divorce" that will be come expensive quite quickly.

Sometimes people are advised to put things in their "unreasonable behaviour" statements that sound harsh and you may have a different version/slant on matters eg. she is untidy, he is obsessively clean and tidy; she shows no affection, he is too pushy and forces affection on me.

What do you want to achieve? If it is a quick divorce then it may be simpler just to sign that you agree.

Weasleyismyking Tue 17-Oct-17 11:59:04

Thanks for the advice. I've been thinking about what i want to achieve. I think that it's just the having my say aspect. I've been patient for years and tried when he didn't. He had an affair and was really horrible. Yet I'm the one being blamed for unreasonable behaviour.
I guess I just hoped this would be a way of saying fine i won't defend but not totally rolling over on this one occasion sad

Cinnamoniboni Tue 17-Oct-17 12:01:54

Unfortunately it’s an all or nothing thing. If even some of the allegations are true there is little sense in disputing the inaccurate ones. Divorces are just messy sometimes and people are assholes.

You can disagree with the grounds, but it will be contested, and it’ll be expensive.

Lonecatwithkitten Tue 17-Oct-17 14:19:47

Weasley the best advice I have seen is that no one apart from the court ever sees those examples of unreasonable behaviour. If your desired end result is to be divorced then you may do better to bite your tongue and let it go through.
The best revenge is to make a good and happy life without your Ex.

Weasleyismyking Tue 17-Oct-17 16:05:24

Lonecat that is good advice. One of my concerns was that my children would come across the certificates or papers at a later date and think that it was all mummys fault!
Ok, one more thing to rise above hmm thanks everyone smile

Minime85 Tue 17-Oct-17 19:54:14

The deceee absolute doesn’t say anything about reason for divorce. It just says you are divorced.

WHATISTHISNIGHTMARE Thu 19-Oct-17 05:59:15

I thought that on the acknowledgement of service sheet you can say that you disagree with the reasons but are not going to defend the divorce. Am going through the same at the moment, except I am the petitioner in our case.

WHATISTHISNIGHTMARE Thu 19-Oct-17 06:22:51

Found this:

If you want to get divorced but do not like what the petitioner has said about you as the respondent, you can do what they do in the USA and essentially “plead the fifth”.This means you say that you do not intend to defend the divorce, but that you do not agree with the allegations.This allows the divorce to go through undefended but without any findings of fact having been made by the court.

WHATISTHISNIGHTMARE Thu 19-Oct-17 06:27:12

And it's true that no one will ever see the petition, and divorce is no fault anyway now, so the reasons for the divorce do not affect the financial and child care arrangements afterwards.

Cupoteap Thu 19-Oct-17 06:54:03

I attached a letter to the judge when I returned it. He read it, acknowledged my points and made an adjustments to the division of the fees because of it.

Obviously the other side gets a copy too. I knew it probably would make no difference but I needed to have my side heard.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: