Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Moving away

(7 Posts)
Amtat66 Mon 16-Oct-17 22:50:21

I'm looking to move approximately 3 hours from where I live, to move in with and marry my fiancé (we've been together for three years) I have a child still at junior school, who will start his first year of secondary school when we move. My family and close friends also live in the area I wish to move to. Apart from my ex (who currently lives four miles away and has contact with my son one night 9ish till the next morning and alternate weekends) I have no family/ support network nearby. I've found an outstanding school for my son within catchment of the home my fiancé owns. Am I likely to be given permission by the courts to move if my ex objects to moving my son.

Phillipa12 Tue 17-Oct-17 06:35:25

I moved 270 miles from my ex when we divorced, i have 3ds's ages 1/2 and 7 at the time. I had no support where i was living and the reason for the move was to be closer to family, we now live in the same town as my dad, brother and sister. Ex did see a solicitor and he got told that he could try and stop me but in reality a judge would allow the move because of my reasons (moving closer to family). I must point out though that the boys see their dad eow and some holidays and the 5 hr trip is hateful, we meet halfway as things are very amicable, but the boys are knackered, they cant do weekend clubs and my now 3 year old has missed so many of his friends parties due to not being here that i have lost count. Ex is now moving closer, but its still 100 miles away so battling the M5 on a friday night is still going to happen.

Amtat66 Tue 17-Oct-17 18:02:46

Thank you for responding Phillipa 12. Your comments have given me hope that everything can work out. I’m glad to hear you are happy and close to your family. Fingers crossed...

babybarrister Tue 17-Oct-17 21:04:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Amtat66 Wed 18-Oct-17 00:04:42

Hello babybarrister, thank you for your comment. I absolutely agree with you. My intention is for my son to finish year 6 with his current friends and then move. We visit the area we intend to move too often and build his relationship with friends and my fiancé’s family up there. My family are about half an hour away and sleepovers takes place to build familiarity with their environment too. He also has his own room with his own belongings that are left there permanently. We intend to share the hornets to and from my ex’s to lessen the burden for all and have offered additional weeks ( half terms etc) to compensate the missing evenings. My son does not have a personal phone as yet, but it is our intention to purchase one to encourage additional contact with his father.

Amtat66 Wed 18-Oct-17 00:06:34

Journeys*

GypsieQueen Wed 18-Oct-17 00:24:38

I'm afraid my story isn't so positive. Like you I wanted to move about 3 hrs from my ex to be closer to family as I literally had no-one where I was at the time. Our daughter was around a year old. Even though I had good reasons for moving, my ex managed to get a prohibited steps order from the courts to stop me moving. I had to attend several court hearings over about four months where I had to demonstrate and provide written statements on how it would be in our child's best interests to move and how I would ensure she still saw her dad regularly. It was a horrid, dreadful experience and cost me several thousands in legal fees. I got permission to go in the end but it wasn't easy. I really hope your ex doesn't take you to court and you can work out contact arrangements by yourselves.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now