Talk

Advanced search

Husband moving out, bills in his name, companies telling me I need to pay connection fees

(6 Posts)
Personanongrata80 Fri 13-Oct-17 09:30:41

My husband is moving out imminently and most of the bills are in his name. So far I have rung BT and Sky and they've both told me that they need to set up a new account for me and not just transfer the payment details to me. This means I need to pay connection fees and have a new sky box and router so the inconvenience of being in for engineers visits. Is this right? Has anyone got round it? Thanks.

wobytide Fri 13-Oct-17 09:34:57

Depends how civil he is but can he not just login to the online portal for most of them and update the account holder name to you. Did similar on most utility accounts recently without any issue

Personanongrata80 Fri 13-Oct-17 09:38:24

Apparently not. We have both spoken to them. Just feels like a money making scam on behalf of the companies at a time when really I could do without the hassle. But these conversations were had on the phone. Will ask him to look at online options.

childmaintenanceserviceinquiry Fri 13-Oct-17 09:41:15

Sounds a nonsense to me. When I divorced most bills were in ex's name or joint , he had to transfer them over. No issue. 5 years ago so perhaps things have changed.

Clayhead Fri 13-Oct-17 10:32:28

This same thing is happening to my friend at the moment - she's just spent three weeks with no TV/Wifi as one account was disconnected and then the other not connected properly.

Sorry not to be of help but you're not the only one.

NotSureIfiAmWell Sun 15-Oct-17 17:44:48

I have had to do this. But I got a cheaper deal as I was effectively a new customer with Sky. It was £20 to join but I also get the new boxes and box sets included in the deal which means I also don't need Netflix.

Same with Water - monthly bill reduced as less people.

Gas/electric was up for renewal anyway

Council tax Changed to single occupancy

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now