Talk

Advanced search

Disposal of assets just prior to divorce - what happens? My solicitor seems to be not too worried and will argue that the amount sold for be part of H's half of the split.

(6 Posts)
whatwillhappen2 Tue 10-Oct-17 06:51:57

Hi

Am at the beginning of my divorce and so far H has ignored everything. We have a first financial court hearing in December (which he is furious about and is behaving as if I were dead, though he has form for ignoring me for months on end) as for 3 months he ignored all polite requests to go to mediation, first from me and then the solicitor.

The main reason for moving to court however (and I am scared of what is going to happen), is that he has recently sold a property and is not telling me or the solicitor anything about it.

My question is - even if he has sold it and done we don't know what with the money, since there should hopefully be a paper trail, does the amount it has been sold for (providing some cash didn't pass under the table for it) become part of his 50% of the potential final split of assets?

That's what my solicitor seems to think but I am worried about it. He has recently bought a car. What if he has also spent the money on a whole load of other I don't know what though? I guess if he is trying to buy another property there would be a trail there too.

babybarrister Tue 10-Oct-17 10:09:19

yes it will be taken into account. Is the property in the UK? If so it is really easy to find out details of what was paid [save for any cash obviously] whether your ex likes it or not .....

MargoLovebutter Tue 10-Oct-17 10:15:25

My understanding is that they look at all the assets and all the debts before making the split. Everything is taken into account; property, pensions, savings, cars, boats, caravans the whole lot and then all the debt; mortgages, HP loans, credit card debt and so on.

Brakebackcyclebot Tue 10-Oct-17 11:16:41

My understanding is it would be taken into account. However it's much easier to hide cash than a property.

whatwillhappen2 Thu 12-Oct-17 20:07:39

Thanks for your messages.

Bailey500 Fri 13-Oct-17 10:46:26

Hello,

I am in a similar situation where ex has transferred a property abroad to a family member in a bid to hide assets... As it transpires courts to not take this kind of behavior well and have easy powers to uncover such things. He could also end up paying the large court fees because of this too! I am dropping this bombshell on monday as he thinks he has ben ever so clever!!! cant wait!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now