Talk

Advanced search

Are there any financial benefits to waiting 5 years to divorce?

(4 Posts)
Soopermum1 Mon 09-Oct-17 20:56:13

Ex h is likely to be difficult (he's in denial) and things are looking expensive. Are there any financial benefits to waiting the 5 years or is it a pain I just have to tackle now? (I've already waited a year)

whirlyswirly Mon 09-Oct-17 21:33:12

Depends how reasonable he's going to be with finances in the meantime. If he suddenly stops contributing you might need the legal back up to get things sorted.
5 years might buy you some breathing space to stay in your existing property, for example, but it's also going to be hanging over you until it's done. There's no financial benefit that I'm aware of.
Get your ducks in a row so you're ready. If either of you meet someone else that could also change things rapidly..

Soopermum1 Mon 09-Oct-17 21:37:51

I get minimum csa payment from him. I have the kids the vast majority of the time and can cover all living costs. The main issue is there is a large amount of equity in the house. I'm in no particular rush but am concerned the price of the house will go up and I'll have to pay him more. Also can't get new mortgage

oldfatandtired1 Mon 09-Oct-17 22:49:26

There were for me. House prices rocketed, I got 90% equity and moved to a cheaper part of the country. I also got half his pensions so the "pot" grew.

It did, however, mean living in limbo and not really being able to properly move on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now