Talk

Advanced search

What were your reasons listed if you filed for D under irreconcilable differences?

(4 Posts)
Humiliated27 Mon 09-Oct-17 17:15:41

My solicitor seems to think the more reasons I can give the better. But I'm quite happy for it to be H was unfaithful/trust has gone/H won't go to marriage counselling. I mean that is the main reason why we are D so I don't see the point in dragging H through the dirt even more (believe it or not!) by adding other things to the list. I don't want it going that way but solicitor seems to think adding things like he won't wear a wedding ring (never has) or that he smokes weed (always has) should be added. Did your listed reasons reflect the real reason you were D?

Brakebackcyclebot Tue 10-Oct-17 11:22:28

OP, is your ex likely to fight the divorce? If not, then really the court will dinner stamp. The reasons you've given - unfaithful, no trust, he won't put effort into rectifying the situation - seem fine to me. Unless you have to, why would you inflame the situation more than necessary?

BrassicaBabe Tue 10-Oct-17 20:04:57

I was told to give 3/4 reasons. Just enough for the judge to rubber stamp the papers and not enough to add fuel to the fire. I seem to remember being told that even "he clinks his teaspoon when he stirs his tea" would be sufficient for one reason. Not sure on the last one.

I also shared the reasons in an email with ex-DH in advance so that they weren't a surprise when court papers were received. Maybe a "nice" step too far for some, but I was trying to make the process smooth and easy.

NotSureIfiAmWell Wed 11-Oct-17 06:45:17

I was advised 5-6 reasons, just to ensure it would not be refused by court.

I gave around 16 reasons and my solicitor chose the ones she wanted to submit

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now