Talk

Advanced search

Planning a Will for my Children to Inherit

(6 Posts)
Sky00 Sun 08-Oct-17 21:42:27

Hi. I am so lost in Inheritance and Will planning. I am trying to get a Will set up to leave all my assets to my 2 kids. Everybody keeps telling me to plan for the unexpected. So I am trying to - may give up soon as it is giving me a headache!
I'm so confused with options of how I should set the Will out to protect the money until they are 18 (or older when they are less likely to squander it). I wouldn't want my ex to get his hands on the money. I have just managed to buy him out of the family home, so I have the house but also an eye-popping mortgage on it. And I have modest savings.
Does anybody have any advice of whether I should go to an Independent Financial Advisor for advice on how to plan the inheritance? Or to a law firm which writes Wills? Thanks for sharing any thoughts on this.

superram Sun 08-Oct-17 21:43:25

Talk yo mumblechum on here. She wrote our will-over the phone.

hotdelux Sun 08-Oct-17 22:43:12

Recently rewrote my Will having bought ex out of the home.

Kids will inherit assets.
My executor will manage those assets until they are 25.

DS1 is an adult now, but DS2 is only 8. He would live with ex in the event of my death but won’t have access to the £ himself, only though my executor.

I went through a Will writer. I did inform ex who executor was (who is also guardian in the event both parents die) as executor wanted reassurance ex wouldn’t kick off.

Sky00 Mon 09-Oct-17 06:38:52

Good idea to keep ex informed of Executor, so he doesn't kick off. Hadn't even crossed my mind. smile

Majormanner Mon 09-Oct-17 06:44:43

Go to a solicitor - get proper legal advice

Sky00 Mon 09-Oct-17 06:47:24

Moving this post over to Legal forum. Thanks for the Mumblechum lead.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now