Talk

Advanced search

About to start divorce proceedings and need some help please

(8 Posts)
DivorceNovice Sun 08-Oct-17 12:42:43

My husband and I will need to divorce and that much is clear. He has just today left and texted to say it would be permanent (which is not unwanted news to me). But what now? Does divorce cost hundreds? Can I DIY it and is that advisable? I'm a stay at home mum so what does it.mean for me. Do I have to leave almost immediately so house can be sold and proceeds divided? I'm just worried how I would manage the mortgage with the type of job I'd be able to get which fits around the kids. I know divorce is the right thing for me but easiest would be for me to just stay with my husband. It would affect me mentally and emotionally though. Im not sure im making the best decision for the kids and whether at the end of this we would all be ok.

MrsBertBibby Sun 08-Oct-17 16:00:59

Will your ex be paying the mortgage for now?

Do you get any tax credits?

You need to get legal advice.

DivorceNovice Mon 09-Oct-17 17:59:35

Thank you for responding. Yes so far he is paying and no I currently receive no payments such tax credits.

Wishingandwaiting Mon 09-Oct-17 18:04:24

*Does divorce cost hundreds?*

Yes, if you manage to do it on the cheap.

Other it costs thousands. Often many thousands. My sol is £215. An hour. And she’s pretty junior.

MrsBertBibby Mon 09-Oct-17 18:04:29

Well first port of call is to apply for child benefit (If you don't already get it) and the tax credits (unless you are in a universal credit area, in which case apply for that)

Also council tax reduction for sole adult,

NotSureIfiAmWell Tue 10-Oct-17 06:42:53

Yes... definitely get TC sorted out because they take a while to come through. Do not leave the house. Do not change the locks.

Gather and make copies of all paperwork especially his payslips, bank accounts, pension details. Check any investments, ISA etc that you have. Check any joint savings accounts and if able transfer half to your own account just incase he wipes it out

mummyretired Tue 10-Oct-17 06:48:30

I found it perfectly possible to DIY the actual divorce, take advice from a solicitor on finances and reach agreement with my ex doing the forms ourselves - cost about 1100 in total. I can't stress enough how important that legal advice on finance is, get figures together as far as you can first to minimise cost. Use gov.uk and wikivorce forums.

DivorceNovice Thu 12-Oct-17 22:33:50

Thank you all...it's helpful to at least know where to start. Will go and apply for tax credit as my first action. flowers

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: