Talk

Advanced search

Solicitors appointment tomorrow morning- what should I be asking?

(7 Posts)
thenewstateswoman Tue 12-Sep-17 20:58:05

I'm going to see a solicitor tomorrow regarding my separation. Husband announced a couple of weeks ago he wanted to split and moved into spare room. We have a daughter aged three and jointly own our home, however we bought less than a year ago and I put down all the deposit/stamp duty etc. I reduced my hours at work earlier this year as I'm primary care giver for our daughter and also supported husband up until three years ago when he graduated and started to work FT.

I'm trying to figure out what we can do in terms of maintenance /custody/the house.

Any words of advice or things I need to ask the solicitor. I'm new to all this and abut confused. Thank you

OP’s posts: |
CousinKrispy Wed 13-Sep-17 10:44:13

Sorry I didn't see this earlier, hope your appointment went well. Coincidentally, I had my first (free) appointment with a solicitor this morning too. I took along a list of info like our income, list of bank accounts, pension funds, details about our mortgage/property.

I am wanting us to physically separate as soon as possible but have concerns about my long-term position if I move out of the marital home in the short term, blah di blah. She gave me some suggestions and some useful advice about the process--I had been making some assumptions about this which I am now re-thinking. She also outlined approximate costs for various scenarios and told me her hourly rate should I choose to retain her.

It was also just a chance for me to meet someone and decide if I trusted them should I need to hire a solicitor. I'll have to see how the process goes, I'd like to save the money by us agreeing on everything between us, but I'd also like to have someone in my corner as my husband will probably get contentious.

Hope your meeting went well, sorry you are in this situation.

thenewstateswoman Wed 13-Sep-17 20:38:23

Well it moved on slightly

thenewstateswoman Wed 13-Sep-17 20:41:18

He gave me divorce papers this morning. I took them with me. Basically he said he was going to go for shared care so no maintenance payable. My solicitor said that's ludicrous which was a comfort. Nothing can be done to acknowledge my much greater financial contribution to the marriage and the purchase of this property. She recommended going to mediation to thrash it out. And to figure out what I would need to start over in a new property. So when at mediation I'd be requesting more than 50% split

thenewstateswoman Wed 13-Sep-17 20:46:06

He is ten years younger than me and just started his career therefore he has greater earning potential

thenewstateswoman Wed 13-Sep-17 20:46:57

I was planning on staying in the house but actually now I think sell it and move on. Rest start. Minus a dickhead.

CousinKrispy Thu 14-Sep-17 11:55:48

Glad you have a solicitor, sounds like you need one in this situation. Mine said that (if I retained her) she would try to push for my greater contribution to the downpayment on our house to be considered, but she did say that the courts consider "need" of both parties more than what you put in.

Good luck with everything.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in