Advanced search

Financial split

(4 Posts)
rabaria Sat 29-Jul-17 10:17:17

I appreciate this may be a silly question, but we're new to this and just looking for rough guidelines.

When people talk about financial split, are they talking about assets? What if there are no assets (renting the home, not owned), but only one person's salary?

If I have been a SAHM for the last seven years, and still am, and DH has earned all the income, would I be entitled to any of his salary? Youngest child is 1.

DH lives in a different country, so I do 100% of the childcare. He visits, and I take them to see him, too, so they maintain good contact.

Things are very amicable, and we'd rather sort things out by ourselves if we can, and not involve lawyers, insofar as that is possible.

I understand he should pay child maintenance (what percentage of his income? Does it get capped after a certain amount); if we were to go to court, would he be ordered to pay spousal maintenance, too, or would I be told to earn my own income?

Any advise would be much appreciated

OP’s posts: |
NotSuchASmugMarriedNow1 Sat 29-Jul-17 12:28:41

Depending on how much he earns you might get SS for 2 years to give you time to retrain but you will certainly be expected to work sooner rather than later. How much does he earn and what's your reason for not working? These are all things that are taken into account

MrsBertBibby Sat 29-Jul-17 12:42:26

You need to see a solicitor and get proper advice.

SnugglyBedSocks Sun 30-Jul-17 09:09:58

Also not sure how paying maintenance would be enforced if he doesn't reside in the UK (I'm assuming that's where you are)

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in