Advanced search

Hiding assets when divorcing

(6 Posts)
madonna69 Tue 11-Jul-17 23:36:31

I'm currently going through a divorce and having to
do a financial disclosure exercise with my husband, where
we swap our financial information through our solicitors.

I think he's not declaring an account that may have
a large sum of money in it but I can't be sure. His Dad
recently died and my husband is the executor, I think there's
a sum of money in one of his Dad's old bank accounts but
how do I know if he's declaring everything?

How do solicitors or the courts know if you're declaring
everything? What powers do they have to delve further?

Thanks for any help/advice at this stressful time.

OP’s posts: |
Properjob Tue 11-Jul-17 23:41:23

You need to ask your solicitor to employ or recommend a 'forensic accountant' this does cost a bit but is worth it if you winkle out extra cash. Also, if you have an agreement and later find out its based on lies, you can go back to court. But best to winkle it all out first! Good luck OP let us know how you get on. flowers

MrsBertBibby Wed 12-Jul-17 07:43:02

You don't need an accountant for this.

Is he a beneficiary of his dad's estate? Your solicitor can get a copy f the will and can ask for disclosure from the estate.

But please be careful. So many divorcing people convince themselves there's a magic pot of gold. You can spend thousands to track down a few quid.

Also a recent inheritance is unlikely to be a marital asset so is relevant only if his case is bassed on needs.

Properjob Wed 12-Jul-17 08:39:43

Oh yes Bert, good points. Really does depend upon how much we are talking about. Don't forget your needs OP! Do you need more money for a home for example. Second principle, after 50% each. Spending a grand to get a share of 50 K would be worth it yes? Your solicitor will advise you. Good luck

babybarrister Wed 12-Jul-17 09:13:36

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

seventhgonickname Wed 12-Jul-17 11:11:24

If his dad died after the seperate you will not be entitled to claim any of it.I have just gone through this.
Your solicitor will get a copy of the will as said above and details of the estate,which he can't hide as it will have to be declared for probate.
Although you are not entitled to it if it is substantial it reduces his ' need'.So for example he couldn't claim that giving you X would mean he couldnt afford a home.But it does not come into his assets.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in